Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best LTM M39 / Nikon-Contax RF Lenses to Acquire?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Best LTM M39 / Nikon-Contax RF Lenses to Acquire? Reply with quote

I had some health issues that idled the hobby for a year plus and from my recent posts have been getting back into it. One of the shockers has been the dramatic increase in Lens prices, while I wasnt looking. I am decently set on my "set for life" of 35MM lenses with a gap or two to fill here and there.

I do want to complete the M39 rangefinder travel set, and am Looking for recommendations before they get even more prohibitively expensive. Camera is an A7R2. I a Contax 50 1.5, and a canon 135 3.5 In the mail I have a Nikon 105 2.4, a helios-103 Meoptar, and a canon 35 1.8. Any suggestions? on unique character or good value, espeically in russians? I almost bought a jupiter 12, but the glowing reviews of the canon 35 1.8 and finding a nice one for a fair price put me off of that lens. is the rendering of the jupiter significantly different than the canon? Other sleeper russian lenses?

Best Rangefinder Macro? Anything wider than 35 without going to M mount? In M Mount what is the best affordable wide?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 8m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In M Mount what is the best affordable wide?

Ans: 7 Artisan/TTArtisan F1.4 M mount wide angles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Jupiter 8m

Like 1 small Fully agree!

And adding Jupiter 4/135 to the list.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Jupiter 8m

Like 1 small Fully agree!

And adding Jupiter 4/135 to the list.

also search ebay for "Contax RF KIEV RF to Sony e-mount adapter with focusing part CRF NEX helicoid" Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 37A.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I ordered an early 8M as well as a later 8M, be interesting to see how it does. The 7 artisans is interesting, especially for the price.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTM:
Canon S 35/2.8 Chrome. Tiny little lens, it's sharp.
One of the collapsible 50's, my Industar 22 turned my NEX-7 into a nice little P&S.
Topcor-S 50/2
Jupiter 8 & 3
Fed 28mm if you can find one, Fed 50 Macro, if you can find one.
Orion 15 28/6

M:
Voigtlander 15 v3 love this lens.
Leica 24/2.8 Aspherical
Leica 28/2.8 v2 I love this lens on my NEX-7, slight bit of edge colour shading that only shows in white clouds, not that great on my A7r, this lens is making me desire a BSI sensor in an A7c v2 but with a better EVF and more buttons.

Other:
Contax G45, transplanted into a Rokkor MC 55/1.7 body, a great lens, only better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really loved most of the Cosina Voigtlander lenses I have come across but I’m not sure they fulfill your budget requirement as they aren’t expensive by comparison to Leica LTM and M-mount glass but they are a bit more than the offerings from makers like 7artisans, TTartisans, etc.

The CV 35/2.5 is such a great little lens (I there is an LTM version). And the CV 35/1.7 Ultron could be my favorite 35mm lens I have ever used. It’s more expensive but if this was the last 35mm lens I ever used I wouldn’t be disappointed. I second the Contax 45/2 recommendation (and generally for all the Contax G lenses). Again prices have gone a little bonkers but if you can find the right price, they were great via a Fotodiox or Metabones manual focus adapter. The 45/2 specifically is one of the greatest lenses ever made.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses like the fed 28 and the orion 15 are why I am kicking myself. For $200 bucks 5 years ago, I could have bought a heck of a set of russian Rangefinders....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to bring this thread to closure. Here are the lenses that I think I am going to be keeping for my rangefinder kit

Canon 28 2.8 LTM - Great little lens lovie it

Canon 35 F2 - Love this lens. The 1.8 was nice, the Nikone 35 2.5 is probably better from a sharpness standpoint, but I understand why this is referred to as the Japanese Summicron

50's for some reason I like 50s. Keepers are Canon 50 1.2 LTM, Canon 50 1.4 LTM, a 1956 Jupiter -8, a 1994 Meopta Helios - 108. Each for different reason. Comments - I bought an early 80s Jupiter 8 and it was a true dogbiscuit. I had a Zeiss West Post war Sonnar it wasn't as good a zeiss Jena sonnar, neither of which were clost to the Jupiter 8. Also had a Nikon 50 1.4, which was terrible wide open but improved stopped down.

85 1.9 Chrome Canon LTM bought cheap and I cant let it go after the Helicoid fun

105 2.5 Nikon versus 100 F2 canon.. The Nikon is very highly regarded, and there is little info on the Canon. So far leaning toward the canon, as it seems to be a good bit sharper wide open. Need to play with it more and test various distances..

135 I had both a canon 135 3.5 and a Nikon that came with other kits and parts of the above. Really a push on quality, May sell both, but they are so cheap, may keep the canon.

Nice thing about all of these lenses in LTM is with a Hellicoid adapter, all of them become close focus.

Have an adapter in the mail for a 26mm Robot 40 1.9 that looks like a little gem, and am awaiting an 85 Royale with adapter.........

Many of the above were bought great cosmetics and haze or fungus. Tear down of rangefinders is pretty idiot proof (except helicoids Lol).....

Much of this kit already made one road trip and it will be making a second shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
I bought an early 80s Jupiter 8 and it was a true dogbiscuit. I had a Zeiss West Post war Sonnar it wasn't as good a zeiss Jena sonnar, neither of which were clost to the Jupiter 8.

Old Russian lenses can be a crapshoot for quality, but I have a 1954 Jupiter-8 in Contax RF mount that's absolutely wonderful - significantly better than my 1957 Zorki Jupiter-8 (which I already liked).

It may help to pay attention to which factory they come from. I've had good luck with KMZ, Arsenal, and LZOS - not so much from others (I'm looking at you, KOMZ).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
Well to bring this thread to closure. Here are the lenses that I think I am going to be keeping for my rangefinder kit

Canon 28 2.8 LTM - Great little lens lovie it

Canon 35 F2 - Love this lens. The 1.8 was nice, the Nikone 35 2.5 is probably better from a sharpness standpoint, but I understand why this is referred to as the Japanese Summicron

50's for some reason I like 50s. Keepers are Canon 50 1.2 LTM, Canon 50 1.4 LTM, a 1956 Jupiter -8, a 1994 Meopta Helios - 108. Each for different reason. Comments - I bought an early 80s Jupiter 8 and it was a true dogbiscuit. I had a Zeiss West Post war Sonnar it wasn't as good a zeiss Jena sonnar, neither of which were clost to the Jupiter 8. Also had a Nikon 50 1.4, which was terrible wide open but improved stopped down.

85 1.9 Chrome Canon LTM bought cheap and I cant let it go after the Helicoid fun

105 2.5 Nikon versus 100 F2 canon.. The Nikon is very highly regarded, and there is little info on the Canon. So far leaning toward the canon, as it seems to be a good bit sharper wide open. Need to play with it more and test various distances..

135 I had both a canon 135 3.5 and a Nikon that came with other kits and parts of the above. Really a push on quality, May sell both, but they are so cheap, may keep the canon.

Nice thing about all of these lenses in LTM is with a Hellicoid adapter, all of them become close focus.

Have an adapter in the mail for a 26mm Robot 40 1.9 that looks like a little gem, and am awaiting an 85 Royale with adapter.........

Many of the above were bought great cosmetics and haze or fungus. Tear down of rangefinders is pretty idiot proof (except helicoids Lol).....

Much of this kit already made one road trip and it will be making a second shortly.

I have the Canon S 28/2.8 too, do you have any pictures from it on the A7r2? On my A7r it has severe corner shading, I had assumed the BSI sensor would be much better, I also have the S 35/2.8 and it's wonderful.

Since you like 50's my Topcor-S 50/2 is razor sharp, the body looks like a clone of my Canon S 50/1.8
The super Rokkor's are quite nice, 45/2.8 and 50/1.8

The Canon S 100/2 has a good reputation for portraits.
The Canon S 100/3.5 is a nice small travel short tele.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should add the Leitz Elmar 135/4 to your list. By far the best 135mm RF lens which is still available for reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
You should add the Leitz Elmar 135/4 to your list. By far the best 135mm RF lens which is still available for reasonable prices.

I agree that would be a good choice. You can still find them for decent prices if you hunt a little, which is to say about the same price as a Sonnar 135.

The Elmarit 90 2.8 is excellent too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
The Elmarit 90 2.8 is excellent too.

Indeed, a very nice lens. My most favorite RF lens in this focal length.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

below are two pics of a pale green wall, which I thought might have shown an obvious red color cast. First is F2.8 second is 5.6. Perhaps this isnt the best test, if you have another way will gladly do it. All i see is the expected vignetting.

Which version of the Topcon 50 do you have. I understand, there are at least 4 versions?