Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.4 in B&W
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.4 in B&W Reply with quote

Straight out of the camera, resized to upload them here. Sony a6000 and Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.4. It is a silver ring version, and I would say a version not showing in the buhla website, since it is not preset but does not have any EE marking Shocked.
They were taken in the first American colonial city, which happens to be in Spain (La Laguna, Canary Islands). It served as example to many (most) cities built later on in Spanish-America.
The last one is a sudden change to color. Life can sometimes be surprisingly good Friends

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4, 6 and 8 attract me most, well done!

Impressive IQ, I am used to see the 1.4/57 as a bit softer lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
#4, 6 and 8 attract me most, well done!

Impressive IQ, I am used to see the 1.4/57 as a bit softer lens.

I don't find mine soft at all. Obviously, a bit wide open, but even so much better than many other old lenses. It does not have the EE mark in it, maybe it is one of the very first versions, and that makes it more old-school (meaning no cutting corners with the quality of glass, etc)? No idea, but a very good one anyway. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember someone mentioning that it was a very good lens for black and white. I usually don't do that, and for sure not straight from the camera, but I just decided to give it a try. Plus, in my mind, the city of La Laguna looks good in B&W! (although it is very colorful and you lose that with B&W, somehow its old buildings in the city center make me think of old documentaries).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read your comment, I looked through my shots made with the lens and discovered that you I need to reconsider my erroneous impression. Maybe the lens is softer in 100% crops than the later Hexanon 1.4/50, but you are totally right, it renders very eat image in general. Some years ago I converted some images into BW and pretty much enjoyed the result.

It works very well with colour too, as your shot proves.

Thank you for making me revisit the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

It works very well with colour too, as your shot proves.

Thank you for making me revisit the lens.

It does indeed like color! (Although that one was taken with the “landscape” mode of the Sony a6000, which gives a bit more saturated colors than the standard mode. Still, not overly so, it was just that the light was good and the scene very blue!

As for your thanks, you are welcome, but not really my good, rather the lens’!