Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

polarizing adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: polarizing adapter Reply with quote

Some here might find this Fotodiox prooduct of interest:

https://petapixel.com/2021/07/12/unusual-adapter-places-a-polarizing-filter-between-lens-and-sensor/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yes that could be quite fun the dumb EF version should adapt to most mounts I use Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fotodiox created a line of lens adapters for modern and vintage SLR lenses ... that have a built-in polarizing filter. The design allows multiple lenses to be adapted to a single mirrorless camera without needing different sized filters.

The adapters have largely flown under the radar

“Since mirrorless cameras hit the scene, our mission has been to vastly expand customer’s lens choices. With the Polar Throttle, we’ve found yet another way to deliver an important level of image control to the mix,” Bohus Blahut, the marketing director for Fotodiox Pro, said when the adapters were launched in 2017. “You can’t adjust light polarization in post, and fixing issues on-location used to mean lugging around many different-sized CPL filters. With the Polar Throttle, you get easy, reliable, built-in fingertip polarization control for any lens you attach. Cut down haze, manage reflections, create evocative long exposures in full daylight, and dial in richer, bolder colors whether you’re shooting photo or video.”

That's all very nice - but there's probably a valid reason why these adapters have "flown under the radar". Light rays - especially with non-telecentric fast lenses - are not parallel at all when leaving the lens. This will cause problems when using plan-parallel glass elements between lens and sensor (unlike using them in front of the lens, where light rays are more or less parallel unless we work at close distances). In addition the polarizing filters consist of at least three layers (glass, organic polarizer, and glass again), and therefore are much thicker than normal filters. Since all three layers are prone to manufacturing tolerances, producing a really flat polarizer is quite difficult. Back in 2012 - when I checked last time - even the most expensize Zeiss polarizers were interfering visibly with the image qualitity of e. g. the Minolta AF 2.8/200mm APO. That's why I use them only rarely on DSLRs.

In summary: interesting idea, but probably with visible quality loss.

S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add that it's probably not the best quality filter in there (whichever filter it is, I have no idea). I'd like adapter with a plan protective glass instead of a CPL, to use when I'm willing to sacrifice 1% of image quality
in order to protect the sensor (for example when I know I'll be switching lenses on a windy day, especially if on a beach etc.). Someone will find some use for this adapter anyway, I won't because I never take
all the photos with a polarizing filter and I need to be able to take it off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
I'll just add that it's probably not the best quality filter in there (whichever filter it is, I have no idea). I'd like adapter with a plan protective glass instead of a CPL, to use when I'm willing to sacrifice 1% of image quality
in order to protect the sensor (for example when I know I'll be switching lenses on a windy day, especially if on a beach etc.). Someone will find some use for this adapter anyway, I won't because I never take
all the photos with a polarizing filter and I need to be able to take it off.

There are clip in filters that go inside the camera lens mount. I have used a IR-cut model on my converted A7ii - it worked very well with all sorts of adapted lenses till I cracked it when re-fitting it in a hurry. If these are made for your camera they should have something that's effectively plain glass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I wasn't aware of those, that might be just what I was looking for (also a Sony user, my camera is supported). I'll check this out.