Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Playing with 01F
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Playing with 01F Reply with quote

Last Summer in Portugal i tried some stupid shoots with Tamron 55B with 01F and with TWO 01f Smile

Results are not good... Smile

With one 01F, hand helded
Resized pictures are even not "just acceptable"

And then ... Smile
I was boring a day with few sun so i had a nervous breakdown Smile

Preparation

the Target

The Result
just resized

After that... a 1.4x Sigma AF converter was boring in the bag, so i play also with it
just resized

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing with 01F Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
Last Summer in Portugal i tried some stupid shoots with Tamron 55B with 01F and with TWO 01f Smile

Results are not good... Smile

That's not surprising at all. To me, the images taken with most 500mm mirror lenses (including the Tamron mentioned) don't look really sharp even without any converter - let alone with two of them!

Gr S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing with 01F Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
the images taken with most 500mm mirror lenses don't look really sharp

Sometimes you really do say some very stupid things.

Perhaps you're not capable of getting sharp results from mirror lenses, but most certainly, the better mirror lenses are capable of sharp results.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting on a crop sensor will not do sharpness any good. Using the dim viewfinder of a 350D will make it almost impossible to nail focus. (350D has no live view).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like "possible image size" sharpness criterion. Mirror lenses on full frame allow up to 1280px images max in my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like your double support Nelson thats a good move. But as per previous post, I think you are having trouble nailing focus by eye. At f16 (and approx T20) quite frankly your only going to land on critical focus by chance (and the stacked tc's is even worse). Good live view or a magnified evf on a mirrorless camera are, IME, the more (only!) effective tools. You could try some focus bracketing: take a sequence of pics adjusting the focus incrementally through the best focus position. For closer shots you could also use a macro rail if you have one, and focus bracket that way, moving lens + camera.
I think significantly better results are achievable, but overall I concur with you that mirror lenses by and large don't get with tc's, particularly with subjects like birds, IME fine detail contrast is quickly lost. However I suspect that careful experimentation trying, for example, to read a distant ships name could find an advantage in the use of a tc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the post is resurrected from 10 years ago, photos are made using 8mp Aps-c camera with inadequate optical viewfinder.

Search foe member BigDawg to see some sharp mirror photos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is. So why did you bump it with a thumbs up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the dates when I use the Canon 350D, I can't focus precisely with manual lenses even I have a chipped adapter. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing with 01F Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Perhaps you're not capable of getting sharp results from mirror lenses, but most certainly, the better mirror lenses are capable of sharp results.

Ian, I don't think yout ever have shot different 8/500mm mirror lenses side-by-side with a Canon 2.8/400mm L.
Images taken with common 8/500mm lenses (e. g. Nikkor 8/500mm II, Minolta RF 8/500mm, Tamron SP 8/500mm) and FF high res digital cameras look quite OK. However, if you compare them to images taken with a Canon 2.8/400mm L, you'll immediately see the difference. And I'm talking about the Canon nFD at f2.8 - not stopped down.

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get sharp enough results with the MTO 3M-5A and it has fungus on the mirror.
Rose hip donuts by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When light is right, focus is right.... (tamron 500mm 55B, pentax K3-ii, 1/400th, bean bag resting on a railing)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
So it is. So why did you bump it with a thumbs up?

Re-read original post? Smile

Very nice bird photo!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - pity the tail got clipped (it was hopping around too fast).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing with 01F Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Here's my point.

As a reference: Canon nFD 2.8/400mm L, 100% crop from the A7RII. Standard Photoshop RAW conversion

Minolta MD 8/500mm RF

Tamron SP 8/500mm

Nikkor 8/500mm - looks misfocused, but my sample never gets really sharp (always some double-lines visible when focusing). Maybe a bad sample, even though from outside it looks very good.

Even though there's not much color it's obvious that the mirror lenses never get as sharp as a good refractive tele lens.
Remember that modern refactive lenses such as the Canon EF 5.6/400mm L or the vintage Canon nFD 4.5/500mm L are even better than the Canon nFD 2.8/400mm L ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mirror lenses are sufficiently sharp. They were never meant to be the ultimate long focal distance lens. They were meant to be a cheaper, more compact an carry-able alternative for long and heavy tele-lenses. And they are certainly better than the cheap 500mm F8 stove pipes.