Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seagull SB-II 28mm F2 lens for Dongfeng missile
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Seagull SB-II 28mm F2 lens for Dongfeng missile Reply with quote

Recently, I found a industry camera named SB-408B made by Shanghai No.3 Camera Factory using a 28mm F2 lens.
[/img]
I ask a friend for help to buy it.
It has the same flange back as LTM but its mount is m32 × 1mm. And the frame size is 24mm × 24mm
So we thought it might be one of the lenses designed by Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1950s-1960s, because the first Chinese-designed Cine lens/Photography lens used a mount which is different to L39 but it seems that it has the same flange back as L39.

I found some catalogues.
It is Seagull SB-II.
They say that its POV is 46° or 56°.
While 28mm cine lenses' POV is 52°.
So, it is not a s35 cine lens which was adapted to a industry camera.

And, Seagull's Military Industry History said:
It was a disposable TV lens designed in 1970.
It was designed for missile (Dongfeng-4 and Dongfeng-5, not the SLR).
Its frame size is designed as 18mm × 24mm.
The lenses were modified and used as industry lens soon after its design.

Seagull SB-II f28mm 1:2
Aperture: F2 - 8
Distance: 0.3m - infinity
Mount: M32 × 1mm
Flange distance: 28.8mm

My friend Ale used Nikon Z7 to test the lens.
It cover a Φ30mm round.

F2

F4

F2

F4

F2

F4

F2 front

F2 back

By the way, SB6 (f58mm 1:2)=HAIOU-64/LAODONG, M42 × 1mm(36.5mm flange back) version. SB3(f50mm 1:1.4) should be Red flag 50mm 1:1.4 lenses‘ M42 × 1mm(36.5mm flange back) version.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual helios like bokeh!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very beautiful rendition and sharpness! looks like a great aps lens.
it can't be a coincidence that war lenses have the most peaceful and serene image character?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
very beautiful rendition and sharpness! looks like a great aps lens.
it can't be a coincidence that war lenses have the most peaceful and serene image character?

It seems that Chinese designers at that time did not like the kind of bokeh. However, different from most Chinese military lenses, it was not appraised.