Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UWA : Irix vs. Samyang vs. Takumar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: UWA : Irix vs. Samyang vs. Takumar Reply with quote

First tests with all these lenses :

(no focus error for the Takumar : it was dirty in liveview too)

Considering these results (that confirm previous tests of Samyang vs. Takumar), I would say that if you are searching for the :
- best compromise all included and cheapest lens : Samyang 14/2.8
- best 14-15mm : Irix 15/2.4 (more constant than Samyang)
- best with unlimited budget : Irix 11 (widest) + 15 (brighter, filters)
- widest lens : Irix 11/4 validated for me
- best on Spotmatic : Takumar 15/3.5 (only lens available on M42)
- UWA with filter thread : Irix 15/2.4 (95mm filters)
- best construction quality : Takumar >> Samyang >> Irix (full metal >> plastic with smooth focusing ring >> all plastic with "plastic feeling/no feeling" focusing ring)

Note on Irix 11/4 : of course we can have better lens... but my specification sheet was to have the widest rectilinear lens in M42/K/EF mount for lets say, under 700 EUR.
The distorsion of the Laowa 15/4 is a no-go for me (if I have to process each picture, I can also take a fish-eye lens...)
The Laowa 12/2.8 zero-D is too expensive
Canon lenses are too expensive
Samyang XP lenses (10/3.5 and 14/2.4) are too expensive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! congrats, all look great wide lenses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy but they all seem good to me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I prefer fields test done according to my pratice, rather than only relying on internet-test or persons that only have certitudes about lenses that they never touched Very Happy
As I have the two Irix, I'll keep them some months to see what to do with them. Otherwise the Samyang would be the right choice for me.

BTW, the 15/2.4 will return to seller : its hood is not aligned with sensor, making shades in the images, and its chip says it is a 11/4 lens...