Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Docter Optics Doctarlux f3.5 200-300 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Docter Optics Doctarlux f3.5 200-300 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

Adapted projector lens. Pretty good, but I need to test it further when there is better light.

crop:

crop:

crop:

crop:

crop:

crop:

crop:

crop:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...there's nothing wrong with that, very impressive. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I like them

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the same lens as ISCO?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I tend to think that if a lens can do well in the low light of a December afternoon up here in Cumbria (56.4N) then it will do even better in better light conditions.

Pancolart wrote:
Is it the same lens as ISCO?

I don't think so, I think it's made in the former Carl Zeiss Jena factory in the former GDR that Docter Optics bought and may be a Zeiss design, some of the Docter Optics projector lenses were.

My experience of the ISCO projector lenses is that they are also top notch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Better light" LOL The light is beautiful. You and the lens captured it so well!

The Ravens photo is awesome.

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this PDF you will find some interesting tidbits about the Docter company Smile http://www.arnecroell.com/docter.pdf

Cheers,
Jan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
Nice work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
"Better light" LOL The light is beautiful. You and the lens captured it so well!

Like 1 Like 1

Cheers. It was the last hour before the sun goes down when the light is at it's warmest and softest, which is a time I always enjoy shooting.

By 'better' I was meaning 'more of it' because bright sunshine is where the flaws will be more apparent - high contrast edges where the CA will be most visible, flare from off-axis bright sunlight etc. So 'better' for exploring the technical capabilities of the lens but not better for the aesthetics of photography.

I went out again today with the lens and saw maybe three or four seagulls, all the birds seem to be hiding from me!

I think the birds are Jackdaws, a bit smaller than a Raven, there are lots of them living in those trees and every night just before sunset they fly around in circles as a flock, I believe it's called murmuration. We do have Ravens here but I seldom see them, they seem to be more of a countryside dweller.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
In this PDF you will find some interesting tidbits about the Docter company Smile http://www.arnecroell.com/docter.pdf

Cheers,
Jan

Cheers Jan, I have read that, it is pretty much the sole piece of info available on the the photo lens making activities of Docter Optics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more I took today, some of these have had some PP. Looks like there is some interesting swirly bokeh lurking in this optic I can further explore. It makes some interesting flares when pointed at the sun but seems to have pretty effective coatings.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos and some beautiful scenery!
Were they they taken close to where you live, Ian?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all within 500m of my house. The distant hills are the southernmost part of the Cumbrian mountains, the view is looking almost due east up the Duddon Valley.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across another Docter projector zoom lens for sale in the Netherlands that might interest you: https://www.kamera.nl/docter-wetzkar-germany-vario-doctaron-85-150-mm-f-4-0-occasion.html .
Cheers,
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Some more I took today, some of these have had some PP. Looks like there is some interesting swirly bokeh lurking in this optic I can further explore. It makes some interesting flares when pointed at the sun but seems to have pretty effective coatings.

#6 has some swirl Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Like 1 Like 1

Cheers. It was the last hour before the sun goes down when the light is at it's warmest and softest, which is a time I always enjoy shooting.

By 'better' I was meaning 'more of it' because bright sunshine is where the flaws will be more apparent - high contrast edges where the CA will be most visible, flare from off-axis bright sunlight etc. So 'better' for exploring the technical capabilities of the lens but not better for the aesthetics of photography.

I went out again today with the lens and saw maybe three or four seagulls, all the birds seem to be hiding from me!

I think the birds are Jackdaws, a bit smaller than a Raven, there are lots of them living in those trees and every night just before sunset they fly around in circles as a flock, I believe it's called murmuration. We do have Ravens here but I seldom see them, they seem to be more of a countryside dweller.

Good point about bright sunshine revealing lens flaws -- might explain why a lens thought dud at first later looks a lot better with less light.

The many Ravens around here also circle in a flock; Doves too. Murmuration is usually attributed to Starlings. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=murmuration&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
I came across another Docter projector zoom lens for sale in the Netherlands that might interest you: https://www.kamera.nl/docter-wetzkar-germany-vario-doctaron-85-150-mm-f-4-0-occasion.html .
Cheers,
Jan

Cheers Jan, there seem to be a whole range of Doctarlux and Doctaron projector lenses to play with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

#6 has some swirl Smile

Yeah, that is what made me think there was some swirly bokeh to be explored, but so far, that is the only shot that has shown anything other than buttery smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Like 1 Like 1

Good point about bright sunshine revealing lens flaws -- might explain why a lens thought dud at first later looks a lot better with less light.

The many Ravens around here also circle in a flock; Doves too. Murmuration is usually attributed to Starlings. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=murmuration&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

Usually, it is dull light that sorts the men from the boys when it comes to lens quality - the better lenses are needed for bad light is a good rule of thumb.

However, when it comes to flaws like flare and CA on high contrast edges, you need plenty of sunlight.

I know little about birds but I see these birds that live in those trees flying in circles every night. Starlings used to be extremely common here, but not any more, they do sly in circles though, still a fairly common sight. Pigeons do it too, well, racing pigeons, they are commonly kept here, I suppose wild pigeons probably do too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying playing with this thing, if it had an aperture it would be my 'go to' long lens for my a850.