Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 28/2.8 sx vs Pentacon 29/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Mamiya 28/2.8 sx vs Pentacon 29/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for buying a wide-normal lens around 24-30mm to shoot a documentary. I can get Mamiya for 40usd and Pentacon for 5usd cheaper.

Does anyone have experience with these lenses? Which one would you recommend considering image quality, especially sharpness, coating, colors etc?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the Mamiya SX lens has two protruding pins. Once adapted, one of the pins has to be pressed in to control the aperture, and the other pin has to be removed. It's a good lens though: quite sharp and nice colors. Quite prone to flare however. I used to have the Pentacon; it didn't strike me as particularly good, but I haven't tested it extensively.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have the Pentacon. It is nice for close up/Bokeh and has distinctive colours. The Mamiya is probably the better lens for 28mm purposes. Better overall sharpness The build quality/qc of the Pentacon is poor. My copy is decentered as are many. My Mamiya lenses (I have a 50/1.8 and 2.0) are stiff focussers though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon has quite a bit of field curvature resulting in poor corners at large apertures, this is worth bearing in mind if you are using a 35mm sized sensor as it is clearly noticeable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First.

My experience with pentacon was three copies descentered.
Nothing special, but nice colours.

Mamiya 28 mm lens has good colours too.
Sharp at the center but the corners.......
Said that I must admit that all 28 mm I tried have so so corners, except the zeiss or pentax Hollywood.
And if you use FF......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design of the Pentacon is poor in that the rear optical group is prone to becoming decentred. They can be repaired if you have the right equipment, but who does have the equipment these days?