Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Test shot Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Test shot Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Bought this a few weeks ago. Very fine lens, can be obtained very cheap.

100% crop, no post processing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Nice, inexpensive lens!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Like 1
Nice, inexpensive lens!

I used to have the 55/2.8. It has better flat-field performance than the f/3.5, which is great if you make pictures of coins and stamps, but for my use that is not important.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 well known performer!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Performing performer performance shows well here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best macro lenses of all time and right now they're selling for stupid low prices. I consider this lens to be a must have (I own three).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
One of the best macro lenses of all time and right now they're selling for stupid low prices. I consider this lens to be a must have (I own three).

I guess they’re so cheap because people want the 55/2.8 (not too expensive either btw).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I guess they’re so cheap because people want the 55/2.8 (not too expensive either btw).

Both inexpensive now because so many for sale only because Nikon made so many? Since Nikon AF era began, supply in used marketplace has grown accordingly. People also think they "need" 1:1, lol. Practically speaking, lens only goes to 1:2 because at this focal length the subject distance is already getting too close for skittish creatures...100mm macro lens give more working distance, nice 180mm macro lens harder to hold still at working distance...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Both inexpensive now because so many for sale only because Nikon made so many? Since Nikon AF era began, supply in used marketplace has grown accordingly. People also think they "need" 1:1, lol. Practically speaking, lens only goes to 1:2 because at this focal length the subject distance is already getting too close for skittish creatures...100mm macro lens give more working distance, nice 180mm macro lens harder to hold still at working distance...

Yes, an awful lot of 55/2.8's were produced. I think it is still in production actually.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 55/3.5 for years for duplicating slides, and I've been very satisfied with the results. Then a couple years ago, I bought a 55/2.8 AIs. I was very surprised to find that it produced noticeably sharper slide duplicate images. Now =that= was impressive, considering just how sharp the 55/3.5 is.

I agree about this whole 1:1 vs 1:2 thing. With a 50-ish 1:2 macro @ 1:2, the front of the lens is almost touching the subject. A 100mm gives one a bit more working room, which is why, for macro work, I prefer the 100mm focal length. Recently I bought a copy of the 200mm f/4 AIs Nikon macro lens, and I must admit I was rather disappointed. It was sharp, but not nearly as sharp as the 50-55s and 90-100s I also own. But having that increased working distance is really nice, so it still has its uses.