Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

strange 42x1 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: strange 42x1 mount Reply with quote

Hello to all friends of the forum. I need some advice: I bought a Telear 200mm 1:3.5 and a Mir 24H 35mm 1:2, both with a strange mount: they are 42x1, but with a diaphragm actuation lever similar to bayonet optics. I don't know if this is a transformation of a Kiev / Nikon mount, or if there was a camera with this mount. The diaphragm lever unfortunately interferes with normal adapters, but it did not prevent them from being mounted on a Zenith body. Will it probably be necessary to modify the adapter? Luckily I also have a lathe, but I wouldn't mind a simpler solution.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: strange 42x1 mount Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Hello to all friends of the forum. I need some advice: I bought a Telear 200mm 1:3.5 and a Mir 24H 35mm 1:2, both with a strange mount: they are 42x1, but with a diaphragm actuation lever similar to bayonet optics. I don't know if this is a transformation of a Kiev / Nikon mount, or if there was a camera with this mount. The diaphragm lever unfortunately interferes with normal adapters, but it did not prevent them from being mounted on a Zenith body. Will it probably be necessary to modify the adapter? Luckily I also have a lathe, but I wouldn't mind a simpler solution.

Thanks in advance

Interesting. T mount is 42 x 1, but 42 x 1 may not be T mount. Did you happen to try using a T mount first?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: strange 42x1 mount Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Thanks in advance

Interesting. T mount is 42 x 1, but 42 x 1 may not be T mount. Did you happen to try using a T mount first?

This is not T-Mount, because on the Zenith it focuses correctly, whereas a T-Mount lens needs a socket to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems someone replace the Nikon F mount with a M42 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try an adapter without the frame that pushes the aperture pin, I guess that's the key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-mount is 42mm x 0.75 thread pitch, slightly different to M42.

If you want to keep the lens and use it you may need to puchase a cheap M42 adaptor for that lens only, and remove the aperture activating flange from it to provide clearance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
T-mount is 42mm x 0.75 thread pitch, slightly different to M42.

If you want to keep the lens and use it you may need to puchase a cheap M42 adaptor for that lens only, and remove the aperture activating flange from it to provide clearance.

Thanks Alun. My bad memory. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
I will try an adapter without the frame that pushes the aperture pin, I guess that's the key

I now understand why you mean in your previous post. This is what I am thinking of as well. Some earlier version of M42 adapter doesn't have the inner flange to push the aperture pin. If you can find one, that should work. I vaguely remember a store on Amazon sells so-called Type 1 and Type 2 M42 to NEX adapter. One of them doesn't have the inner flange.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

I now understand why you mean in your previous post. This is what I am thinking of as well. Some earlier version of M42 adapter doesn't have the inner flange to push the aperture pin. If you can find one, that should work. I vaguely remember a store on Amazon sells so-called Type 1 and Type 2 M42 to NEX adapter. One of them doesn't have the inner flange.

Thanks for your help. I want to try those lenses on my Canon EOS R, and I am pretty sure that among the many adapters I already own there must be some without the inner flange, I have just to spend some time on checking my boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt one or two camera manufacturers have their own version of M42?
Something is telling me Fuji.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Didnt one or two camera manufacturers have their own version of M42?
Something is telling me Fuji.

Sure. Olympus FTL, Pentax Spotmatic F, Fuji ST 801 and AZ-1, for instance; all these cameras had a somewhat modified M42 mount, generally to skip the stop-down light measure. The two lenses of this topic, though, are made in USSR, so we only could speculate about russian cameras. I guess that a version of Kiev with such mount could have been made, but my memory can't help me any more

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
I guess that a version of Kiev with such mount could have been made, but my memory can't help me any more

The last letter in "Mir-24H", actually being the Cyrillic "N", specifically indicates Nikon (AI) mount. M42 Mir-24 exists, but it is called Mir-24M (and it's mount looks exactly like the one pictured in the post #1).
Telear, despite being called Telear-N (so Nikon mount again), was originally sold with two interchangeable rear pieces - Nikon AI and M42.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:
I guess that a version of Kiev with such mount could have been made, but my memory can't help me any more

The last letter in "Mir-24H", actually being the Cyrillic "N", specifically indicates Nikon (AI) mount. M42 Mir-24 exists, but it is called Mir-24M (and it's mount looks exactly like the one pictured in the post #1).
Telear, despite being called Telear-N (so Nikon mount again), was originally sold with two interchangeable rear pieces - Nikon AI and M42.

Thank you, that sounds good, but I can't realize how the aperture could have been actuated by a normal M42 camera. Also, maybe the interchangeable rear piece of the Telear could fit the Mir too, since the back of the two lenses look exactly the same.

Sorry about the pics: those lenses are still terribly dirty...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

Thank you, that sounds good, but I can't realize how the aperture could have been actuated by a normal M42 camera. Also, maybe the interchangeable rear piece of the Telear could fit the Mir too, since the back of the two lenses look exactly the same.

Sorry, I've mislead you a bit. Had to do some further reading.
There was Russian-made (KMZ) Mir-24M with normal M42 mount (standard stop-down pin and A/M switch on the side) and there was Ukrainian-made (Arsenal and Vega) Mir-24N with Nikon mount and replaceable M42 rear (like the Telear). The latter provides only partial compatibility with M42 cameras (no auto aperture function).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Sorry, I've mislead you a bit. Had to do some further reading.
There was Russian-made (KMZ) Mir-24M with normal M42 mount (standard stop-down pin and A/M switch on the side) and there was Ukrainian-made (Arsenal and Vega) Mir-24N with Nikon mount and replaceable M42 rear (like the Telear). The latter provides only partial compatibility with M42 cameras (no auto aperture function).

Fine, now everything is clear, thank you

Like 1