Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wollensak 50mm F/2.8 Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Wollensak 50mm F/2.8 Lens Reply with quote

I have a vintage Wollensak 50mm F/2.8 Lens from an old Clarus 35 camera. The camera died and I want to remount the lens. The lens cell screws in to a very poorly designed helicoid. I've cleaned the helicoid and it works better, but I don't really like it. I find the helicoid odd to use.

Does anyone by chance know the thread size for the lens cell? My calipers show the diameter of the lens cell mount to be 29.9mm. Wollensak was an American company and if I'm not mistaken the threads are not metric and are in inches? If I can determine the thread size I'd like to see if an adapter exists or have one custom made. Any info or help is appreciated. You can clearly see the rear of the lens cell screw mount in pic#3.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to fit the helicoid into a short M42 tube. It will not perfectly fit but it should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US lenses and shutters had no standardisation of thread sizes, sadly.

If the register difference is long enough to allow shooting at infinity, the best way to avoid having to sue the lens helicoid would be to mount it on a short helicoid from ebay, I think the shortrest are 13 to 18mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
You should be able to fit the helicoid into a short M42 tube. It will not perfectly fit but it should be fine.

Thank you for the recommendation, but not exactly what I had in mind. I'm hoping to not use the helicoid at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
US lenses and shutters had no standardisation of thread sizes, sadly.

If the register difference is long enough to allow shooting at infinity, the best way to avoid having to sue the lens helicoid would be to mount it on a short helicoid from ebay, I think the shortest are 13 to 18mm.

Thank you for the recommendation. Yes you are correct about the thread size. I already have a cheap Chinese helicoid, but I just want to find an adapter to properly mount the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy a 37 - 30mm step down, and screw a 42 - 37 adapter to that.

Both on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

Both on ebay.

Thanks. I will take a look.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonN wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Both on ebay.

I have a Wollie 2 inch f2.8 Perfex lens, probably the same design with a different mount. If the rear thread is 29.9mm you might just get an RMS (25mm) to M42 adapter ring and file out the opening until the lens just fits firmly pressing it in (not as hard as it sounds. At worst secure with something like loctite or even contact cement that will keep it firm without being permanent. That can fit into a M42 helicoid. You should check the flange distance. The shortest is 10-15mm, which is probably too short. Better not to undershoot the infinity focus too much, as the longer the helicoid, the more extension you have for close shots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonN wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Both on ebay.

I doubt I need to remind you, but you'll be mixing metric and imperial thread pitches at the 30mm end. You should get a mating, but it may not be perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
DonN wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Both on ebay.

I have a Wollie 2 inch f2.8 Perfex lens, probably the same design with a different mount. If the rear thread is 29.9mm you might just get an RMS (25mm) to M42 adapter ring and file out the opening until the lens just fits firmly pressing it in (not as hard as it sounds. At worst secure with something like loctite or even contact cement that will keep it firm without being permanent. That can fit into a M42 helicoid. You should check the flange distance. The shortest is 10-15mm, which is probably too short. Better not to undershoot the infinity focus too much, as the longer the helicoid, the more extension you have for close shots.

If all else fails I may try this. Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
DonN wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Both on ebay.

I doubt I need to remind you, but you'll be mixing metric and imperial thread pitches at the 30mm end. You should get a mating, but it may not be perfect.

Yes I'm aware of this. I'm hopeful that I can screw it on with a bit of force... thanks for the reminder.