Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The double essence of Jupiter-9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: The double essence of Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

My copy of Jupiter consists of two parts. Each of them works in the opposite direction. Apertures 2-2.8 transmit what is visible through the fogged glass, starting from the number 5.6 to 11 you can respect the lens. So, I have two lenses in one case. Or I have a defective copy. The first 3 images are aperture 2, the remaining 8-16 and male face 8 used flash.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is cleaner and sharper already wide open than yours is at 1:2, so, yes, maybe your copy could be not the best one around

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: The double essence of Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

LLB! wrote:
Apertures 2-2.8 transmit what is visible through the fogged glass, starting from the number 5.6 to 11 you can respect the lens

That's the case with like half of them...
Mine gets acceptable by f/4 and really good by f/8, and there's not a single dust particle or oil or fog or something else inside.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this is normal behavior of many Jupiter-9s - mainly the black-finish ones.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The double essence of Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
LLB! wrote:
Apertures 2-2.8 transmit what is visible through the fogged glass, starting from the number 5.6 to 11 you can respect the lens

That's the case with like half of them...
Mine gets acceptable by f/4 and really good by f/8, and there's not a single dust particle or oil or fog or something else inside.

With your permission, two questions. 1 - year of manufacture and manufacturer. 2 - your own way of focusing. Thank you in advance !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The double essence of Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

LLB! wrote:
With your permission, two questions. 1 - year of manufacture and manufacturer. 2 - your own way of focusing. Thank you in advance !

Mine is made by LZOS in 1981 (M42, black)
I usually focus with magnification wide open and then stop down, but with this one I have to focus at f/4.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The double essence of Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
LLB! wrote:

Mine is made by LZOS in 1981 (M42, black)
I usually focus with magnification wide open and then stop down, but with this one I have to focus at f/4.

I focus the same way. On 4. My factory-made LZOS lens from 1974 is taken from a security video surveillance system. Please, see my post in the DIY section today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my silver 1959 KMZ and my silver 1962 LZOS are sharp at f/2.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

May I ask your permission to see pictures of one of your lenses at both 2.0 and other apertures ? I would be very grateful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is fogged, this is the result of residual spherical aberration, which creates blooming around contrast transitions. It could either be the result of variations in the radii of the glass elements, due to poor workmanship and loose tolerances, or perhaps of decentering of elements. It is certainly true that Russian factories often had poor quality control.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLB! wrote:
KEO wrote:

May I ask your permission to see pictures of one of your lenses at both 2.0 and other apertures ? I would be very grateful.

These are with my 1967 LZOS J-9, at F2, on the Leica M9.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two J-9 from 1951. Both of them are as sharp as CZJ Sonnar.

Crop @F2.0, click to enlarge.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
LLB! wrote:
KEO wrote:

These are with my 1967 LZOS J-9, at F2, on the Leica M9.

Cool and pleasent ! Romantice else.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I had two J-9 from 1951. Both of them are as sharp as CZJ Sonnar.

Crop @F2.0, click to enlarge.

Thanks, my friend !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Nothing is fogged, this is the result of residual spherical aberration, which creates blooming around contrast transitions. It could either be the result of variations in the radii of the glass elements, due to poor workmanship and loose tolerances, or perhaps of decentering of elements. It is certainly true that Russian factories often had poor quality control.

I don't deny it at all. However, the lens is from a security surveillance camera. The quality was monitored by the terrible KGB, its representative was at every serious factory. Why on f2.0 oil and sour cream and the increase in contrast and sharpness only on f5.6 is a mystery. See, please, my post on DIY section.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no mystery here, the Sonnar 2/85 design is soft until closed to f4, it's largely due to spherical aberration and was a deliberate design choice as the main purpose of the lens was portraits.

With the jupiter-9, a good copy is sharp at f4, a lesser copy isn't sharp until f5.6.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 9 uses a classic Sonnar design, whose aberration correction degrades rapidly for close distances and large apertures as used in the first three photos. Obviously, for small apertures (F5.6, F8, etc.), the aberrations are greatly reduced and the image quality improves considerably, but this is normal with almost all old design lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo of the bird clearly show the sharpness (in the center, of course), to be expected from a good copy of Jupiter (tipically an old silver one) at 1:2 or so. Mine has a similar quality, but I have seen others just like the first samples of the opener. Same with the 85mm 1:2, I only had soft copies, but I have seen much better samples on line.

The attached pic has been taken with a Leica M8, wide open; no sharpening on PP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and this is a crop 100% slightly sharpened. Please note the aubergine color on the black hat Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
...and this is a crop 100% slightly sharpened. Please note the aubergine color on the black hat Laugh 1

Please excuse me. Dared to return the black color.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LLB!"]
Ultrapix wrote:

Please excuse me. Dared to return the black color.
[/url]

Thanks, what a pity though that now my friend got a greenish skin and hair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hat clearly isn't black, so the original image is much better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

The Leica M8 is famous for its excessive sensitivity to IR. The incorrect reproduction of black synthetic fabrics is one of the negative consequences of this exaggerated sensitivity to IR.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a used 49mm IR cut filter for $5, back when the M9 was new and people were dumping them. I bought several 52mm Hot Mirror filters for $5 each. I use these for lenses with a lot of CA with the M9 as well.

Focus on the Leaf- no IR contamination.

Wide-Open. This J-9 was made with glass from a 1950s KMZ transplanted into a later barrel, where I moved the rear group in to reduce the focal length. This brought it into better agreement with the Rangefinder of the M8.

All wide-open, on the M8 using the IR cut filter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESE are with a Canon 85/2 on the M8, to show the effects of shooting without an IR filter.

SO- the Hat in the image is Black in visible, and bright IR. The M8 has a 5% IR leakage.