Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

diaphragm swap on enlarger lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: diaphragm swap on enlarger lenses Reply with quote

OK so I have a few of the more modern highly corrected enlarger lenses but often they have only a few blades and tend to give unpleasing bokeh when stopped a few notches. Is it possible to remove the lens elements from the barrel and use in a different barrel? Does anyone have a resource that gives the thread specs on the old shutter lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: diaphragm swap on enlarger lenses Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
OK so I have a few of the more modern highly corrected enlarger lenses but often they have only a few blades and tend to give unpleasing bokeh when stopped a few notches. Is it possible to remove the lens elements from the barrel and use in a different barrel? Does anyone have a resource that gives the thread specs on the old shutter lenses?

In older times this was doable, as those front/rear elements fitted "standardized" shutter mounts (size 0/1/2...), especially Schneider was a good example for that. But later very individual mounts were made so the chances are rather low...

And btw the spacing between front and rear elements are rather critical, so to precisely match this is a rather demanding task...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: diaphragm swap on enlarger lenses Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

You might consider removing the diaphragm, cutting a slot and creating some waterhouse stops, but personally I have never found any enlarger lens (apart from the Apo El Nikkor) for which I would even consider undertaking such a project.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus thanks, I was afraid of that but figured it might be worth a query.

Kymarto I have some APO componon HM, and an APO rodagon lenses that I think would be worthy of the endeavor.

When I get some money saved up maybe I will talk to the folk at RAF.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add another blade in between each of the current blades, but that requires finding similar size and shape blades in which to donate to the project, and modding the existing assembly to accept more blades. I've seen some samples of Helios 44 with 16 blades.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELIOS-44-f2-58mm-logo-MMZ-16-aperture-blades-MADE-in-USSR-7036615/274311648317

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APO Componons should fit a standard shutter/barrel size, APO Rodagons don't, in my experience.

Cheapest/easiest way to do it would be to look for broken MF folders and remove the shutter, ditch the existing lens blocks and replace them with the Componon blocks. I use a 5.6/100 Componon-S in Compur shutter on my Century Graphic that I did precisely that with.

Alternatively, find older Schneider enlarger lenses of lesser quality such as Comparons and Componars that are in the same size barrel as the APO Componon, and simply swap the blocks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have a few old folder lenses. I will see what I can put together.