Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 300mm f5.6 by Tokina
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Vivitar 300mm f5.6 by Tokina Reply with quote

Really wasn't expecting much from this lens as it has not received good internet reviews.
It is also - in the reviews tested - a lens with a poor mfd (supposedly around 6 metres/20 feet).
Except that this one is OK and has a respectable mfd of around 4.2 metres.
Here is the lens followed by some sample images.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet reviews can be helpful or not, I think sometimes you just have to try the lens and see for yourself. Very Happy They look alright to me,although it looks like it struggles with the red in the first image.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta Mo.
It isn't a Zeiss that's for sure, but a surprise in just how good.
I bought it 'cause it was cheap, and to fill out a small collection of Tokina longish glass - most are Vivitars but there is one Soligor, and they are all good to very good lenses.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find quite a few lenses struggle with reds so that is no biggie, I only notice because I take a lot of rose photos.Yellow is another color that can play havoc with some lenses....especially in our bright sunshine.

How is this lens for weight? possible to hold in the hand or just on a tripod? I only buy a lens because it is cheap...or within my budget range Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I find quite a few lenses struggle with reds so that is no biggie, I only notice because I take a lot of rose photos.Yellow is another color that can play havoc with some lenses....especially in our bright sunshine.

How is this lens for weight? possible to hold in the hand or just on a tripod? I only buy a lens because it is cheap...or within my budget range Very Happy

Not heavy - 630 grams - around the same as your SP 500/8, easy to hand hold.
Cheap - yes - less than a slab of beer.
Strangely, I find myself using a tripod more and more anyway.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disliked using tripods because you have to fiddle around with them, but I am finding more and more they are useful...but then you want something like a heavy tripod or one that can bend in a certain direction...I have too many distractions with chasing lenses without chasing tripods.. Laughing

Do you use these longer lenses for birding,I am thinking how fast or easy is it to focus?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that lens for a while, it may be somewhat slow and and not as sharp as more expensive 300's but it's a fine lens.
If you find yourself using it a lot, you can still decide if a more expensive 300 makes sense for you.

It's well worth some beer. (how much exactly is a slab? I thought I knew my SI units...)

regards
Jan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slab is usually 24 bottles (stubbies) or cans of beer in a carton.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very surprised at the performance of this lens. The Hoya (Tokina) 5.6/300 I had was awful, largely due to massive amounts of purple fringing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it comes down to how and in what lighting conditions you use the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'm very surprised at the performance of this lens. The Hoya (Tokina) 5.6/300 I had was awful, largely due to massive amounts of purple fringing.

+1
Also had another Tokain 5.6 300 which was much worse
IQ of this one is much better than I expected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple more goes at that red that was handled not so well in afternoon light.
Early morning light this time.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot better,Do you think it was it any easier in the early morning light capturing the flowers color?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
That is a lot better,Do you think it was it any easier in the early morning light capturing the flowers color?

Not really - much the same.
I think it was Lightroom's auto exposure that fiddled with the reds in the first pics.
I didn't let LR play with the exposure this time.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy good choice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned that this 300mm by Tokina is the latest in my attempt to put together a small collection of longer/ish glass from this maker.
Here is the humble lot.
All Vivitars except for the sole Soligor.
Respectively, they are:
Vivitars 2.8/105, 2.8/135, 3.5/200, Soligor 4.5/250 and Vivitar 5.6/300
The first four are T4 type M42 mounts and the last is a fixed Nikon AI mount.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I mentioned that this 300mm by Tokina is the latest in my attempt to put together a small collection of longer/ish glass from this maker.
Here is the humble lot.
All Vivitars except for the sole Soligor.
Respectively, they are:
Vivitars 2.8/105, 2.8/135, 3.5/200, Soligor 4.5/250 and Vivitar 5.6/300
The first four are T4 type M42 mounts and the last is a fixed Nikon AI mount.
OH

'Tis a sweet collection indeed. I especially like the 105.

I brought in one of the 300's in T4 the other day. It was inexpensive. Once the lens arrived I discovered why:

Previous owner had "modified" the lens in a manner not readily reversible. It still works just fine, but it's not right and not much fun to own. Sad

I do think the ambidextrous aperture settings on the T4 and TX lenses are cool. They gotcha covered either way. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this Tokina during the film era. It was on the cheap side, like every third-party lenses, but not that cheap. It's a good lens, with a nice bokeh. Better stopped down. A little slow with a long mfd, but the same thing was true for, say, a Minolta 300/5.6 MD. Nowaday, it goes for peanuts...When it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching some lovely little birds hovering around our back deck and this afternoon went to capture them armed with the trusty Vivitar 5.6/300
Of course, as soon as the camera appeared they went elsewhere - haha.
I must have waited over an our for them to re-appear - to no avail.
Here are a few time fillers from the waiting.
The last is of my grand-daughter who was bird spotting with me.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The birds always know when the camera comes out with the right lens attached! Laughing Nice capture of your grandaughter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
The birds always know when the camera comes out with the right lens attached! Laughing Nice capture of your grandaughter.

You are absolutely correct there.
There is a family of grey fantails that call this part of Oz home, but they are never still and whenever I stalk them they move somewhere else.
At least my grand-daughter stays put for long enough to take a piccie.
Thanks for the kind words
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH...like the Sun on Iris? plant and the one of your granddaughter is excellent,Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 300mm f5.6 by Tokina Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Really wasn't expecting much from this lens as it has not received good internet reviews.
It is also - in the reviews tested - a lens with a poor mfd (supposedly around 6 metres/20 feet).

Here's the lens your internet reviews are referring to:

I just got it yesterday, for CHF 5.--. The lens seems to be a Tokina (serial 37x), and may have been the precursor tor your Vivitar (Tokina) 5.6/300mm lens. At infinity, on 24 MP FF, it seems to perform quite well - slightly soft and a bit lower contrast wide open, very good corners from f8 on, and excellent resolution & contrast at f11. Lateral CAs are visible, as with most vintage 300mm MF lenses made before 1985, but not more than from the e. g. the Nikkor IF-ED 4.5/300mm or the Pentax M* SMC 4/300mm (a famous masterpiece with three large ED lenses and one lens made from an extremely high refractive / low dispersive glass [nD=1.88 and v=40]).

Oldhand wrote:
="Oldhand"]Except that this one is OK and has a respectable mfd of around 4.2 metres.

Yours is obviously a later version of the 5.6/300mm Tokina/Vivitar, which apparently was made and sold not only under the Tokina name, but also as "Yashica ML 300mm 1:5.6 C". I don't have the Tokina or the Vivitar, but I do have the Yashica sibling. Compared to my (earlyier) Vivitar 5.6/300mm [Tonika made, 6m MFD] it has a better corner resolution, better contrast at f5.6, better MFD (about 4.2m instead of 6m), but not less CAs. The performance of the Yashica (Tokina) 5.6/300mm C in fact is rather good, especially when compared to the (much more expensive) ED lenses mentioned above.

S