Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Revuenon 55mm f/1.7 - is this fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Auto Revuenon 55mm f/1.7 - is this fungus? Reply with quote

I recently got my hands on this dirt cheap lens on a flea market, it cost roughly 9€. I don't know why I didn't realize this sooner but the glass is dirty, like really dirty. I shone a flashlight through it today and it looks like this. Is this fungus? And if so, how much does it spread, should I keep this lens as far away as possible from my other lenses? Should I wash my hands after I handle it and go touch other lenses? The optical performance is actually surprisingly good besides low contrast, so I don't exactly want to ditch it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not look like fungus to me, more like balsam separation between cemented elements I think.
There are a couple of deep looking scratches as well.
It is a pity, as the Auto Revuenon 55mm f1.7 is an excellent lens
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tom says, it looks like balsam separation. So it's not a fungus. If the lens still works for you, then enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be sort of haze, perhaps even cleanable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
in this lens, usually this kind of dirt or haze or whatever it is, is between the front group and the rear group where the aperture is. just unscrew the rear block (it is easy) and you can clean it.
on the other side, the circular scratches(?) are strange. maybe someone tried a cleaning some time ago.
good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like total loss to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
It does not look like fungus to me, more like balsam separation between cemented elements I think.
There are a couple of deep looking scratches as well.
It is a pity, as the Auto Revuenon 55mm f1.7 is an excellent lens
Tom

Thanks. I have no idea what those lines are either. You think they're scratches? At least they don't show up in the images. And yeah the lens is actually very sharp even on my 24mp APS-C. I'm probably gonna shoot some floral portraits with it soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
As Tom says, it looks like balsam separation. So it's not a fungus. If the lens still works for you, then enjoy.

It does work fine, I'm planning to use it, thanks. But may I ask what is balsam separation? Hope it's not annoying to explain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Could also be sort of haze, perhaps even cleanable.

Dunno, I'm afraid to open the lens as to not date the elements or decenter the system.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet.groove wrote:
hi,
in this lens, usually this kind of dirt or haze or whatever it is, is between the front group and the rear group where the aperture is. just unscrew the rear block (it is easy) and you can clean it.
on the other side, the circular scratches(?) are strange. maybe someone tried a cleaning some time ago.
good luck!

Honestly, I don't know how to open lenses and I'm really scared of decentering the lens if I dig around in it. I have no idea what the circular lines are either. I was thinking it could be from a sudden heat change but everyone here says scratches.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Looks like total loss to me.

It wasn't that expensive, and the way I shot the image makes it look filthier than it is under normal conditions. Plus the lens actually works completely fine, the contrast is just really bad wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it might be chemical degradation of the coating. Maybe after condensation. Not sure about the circular "scratches" If its in the front lens block you will get a little degradation of contrast and increased flair. The closer it is to the back of the back element the more degradation you are likely to see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harshest test shining flashlight torch across rear element looking into front...

Looks like leftovers from fungus cleaning, separation, coating degradation, moisture residue, evaporated helical grease, cleaning marks, any of those, any combination, or all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
The harshest test shining flashlight torch across rear element looking into front...

Looks like leftovers from fungus cleaning, separation, coating degradation, moisture residue, evaporated helical grease, cleaning marks, any of those, any combination, or all.

Agreed. Could be a combination of all sorts of things. For 9Euro around $10, I would keep it and try to clean it as a practice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of everything to me. It will probably clean up. But those distinct lines are scratches, those aren't going anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a lens I would try to clean. It looks like a lot of general haze and gunk to me, which may or may not be cleanable. It might simply wipe away, but there's only one way to find out.