Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this aperture ok?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Is this aperture ok? Reply with quote

Hi, can you tell if this aperture blades are on their correct position? This is only photos I have.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, i wish i could see something in those photos...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add: one of few lenses i have never seen with aperture problem. And i've seen at least 50 samples of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos show so little of the aperture that I don't think any assessment is possible. In any event problems with apertures are frequently more a case of them sticking, so that they don't close down to the set size when taking a shot. A still image can never indicate that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
In any event problems with apertures are frequently more a case of them sticking...

Only possible if OP lens is Auto model. If thin Tessar variant faults are quite rare.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coatings look fine. Can't tell anything about aperture

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
DConvert wrote:
In any event problems with apertures are frequently more a case of them sticking...

Only possible if OP lens is Auto model. If thin Tessar variant faults are quite rare.

Yes that's usually only auto models but I've seen preset apertures with the same issue (sometimes just a couple of blades sticking).
I have a Carl Zeiss Tessar with a completely seized aperture so it's not nearly rare enough for me. (FWIW I've only studies 2 examples of the Zeiss 50/2.8 Tessar)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks wide open showing view from mirror of up through pentaprism out viewfinder...see the microprisms on focus screen?

Aperture is wide open; looks very clear to me. The diaphragm is not visible.