Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hummingbird vision
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Hummingbird vision Reply with quote

In another forum I frequent they discussed an experiment identifying hummingbird vision. They have a sensor that detects UV. I put in a plug for Klaus' site. The site is a science and tech oriented site 'arstechnica.com' For science junkies like me it is the best. Most of the staff are PhD educated. They do a great job of translating technical papers to an educated lay audience and have the best comment section of any science site. Engineers, physicians, biologists, astrophysicists, etc. Really, experts in nearly every field weigh in on subjects.it's moderated and they do a pretty good job of limiting the dreck that infest most comment sections. Mfl is the only other site I visit nearly every day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for share it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A litlte more wild site is https://slashdot.org/

EDIT:

The visual opsins are interesting...as are opsins in general, such as melanopsin which is sensitive to light cycles..melanopsin occurs all over and inside the body. Brains are thus sensitive to light passing through skull

The bird/bee vision photos continue with the spectral doubling effect, with violet showing blue and red components, assuming UV would have blue with extension into orange and yellow spectrum. My notion is the UV shuld be represented as greyscale according to wavelength, somehow layering that onto the visual only image, perhaps animated flashing greyscale UV layer on & off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hummingbird vision Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
In another forum I frequent they discussed an experiment identifying hummingbird vision. They have a sensor that detects UV. I put in a plug for Klaus' site. The site is a science and tech oriented site 'arstechnica.com' For science junkies like me it is the best. Most of the staff are PhD educated. They do a great job of translating technical papers to an educated lay audience and have the best comment section of any science site. Engineers, physicians, biologists, astrophysicists, etc. Really, experts in nearly every field weigh in on subjects.it's moderated and they do a pretty good job of limiting the dreck that infest most comment sections. Mfl is the only other site I visit nearly every day.

Thanks for posting, already had read https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/experiments-show-hummingbirds-see-colors-youve-never-dreamed-of/ when my dear wife sent me that link...