Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First shots Mamiya Sekor 58mm f/1.7 (M42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: First shots Mamiya Sekor 58mm f/1.7 (M42) Reply with quote

Received my Mamiya this morning, and took a few shots around the house. All taken wide open. Click for full quality/size.

MamiyaSekor5817_10 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817_9 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817_8 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817_7 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817_5 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817_3 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr
MamiyaSekor5817 by devoscasper, on Flickr
I like it so far. The images are sharp, and with good contrast wide open. It has kind of crazy bokeh. Colors are very neutral, not like the radioactive Takumars. Like Stephan suggested, this lens probably doesn't have thoriated glass, but lanthanum glass which often happens to have some thorium contamination. It would explain the variety of Geiger readings by different users of this lens.

Last edited by caspert79 on Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Existence of this lens eluded me until your post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Beautiful. Existence of this lens eluded me until your post.

It’s not very common indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another portrait @ f/1.7. Click for full size:
MamiyaSekor5817_11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice,

it could easily go (i.m.o) for an older yashinon 50~ish .. post tomioka acquirement period

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
nice,

it could easily go (i.m.o) for an older yashinon 50~ish .. post tomioka acquirement period

Could very well be. There’s also a Yashinon 5.8cm f/1.7, I’m not sure whether they are actually the same lens.

I will post some stopped down images later.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
There’s also a Yashinon 5.8cm f/1.7, I’m not sure whether they are actually the same lens.

I don't think so. I don't think there's any other version of this lens under any other name. It's not the same as the Exakta mount Mamiya 58 1.7 either.

It could be Tomioka, but I don't see anything about it's appearance that strongly suggests Tomioka.

It's a mystery.

BTW, mine is very sharp with the aperture closed down. I've gotten some great macro shots with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
There’s also a Yashinon 5.8cm f/1.7, I’m not sure whether they are actually the same lens.

I don't think so. I don't think there's any other version of this lens under any other name. It's not the same as the Exakta mount Mamiya 58 1.7 either.

It could be Tomioka, but I don't see anything about it's appearance that strongly suggests Tomioka.

It's a mystery.

BTW, mine is very sharp with the aperture closed down. I've gotten some great macro shots with it.

I’m gonna take some stopped down images tomorrow. The 10 blade aperture is an advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

It's a mystery.

According to Ron Herron, Mamiya made its own lenses since shortly after WW2, so I guess the mystery is solved. I know Yashica didn’t make their own lenses in the beginning.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

It's a mystery.

According to Ron Herron, Mamiya made its own lenses since shortly after WW2, so I guess the mystery is solved. I know Yashica didn’t make their own lenses in the beginning.

Mamiya made by itself some normal lenses using own formula and from others too (zeiss contarex 55/1,4).
But some teles and wide angle TL/DTL lenses were made by Tokina.
35/2,8, 135/3 5 and 2,8, 200 mm lenses, are some of tokina made lenses for Mamiya.
For example, look for Vivitar Auto 135/2,8 made by tokina and compare with tL/DTL one and are the same lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Mamiya made by itself some normal lenses using own formula and from others too (zeiss contarex 55/1,4).

Depends on what you mean by "using ... formula ... from others". Some sources errorenously claim that the Mamiya 1.4/55 simply was a copied Zeiss Oberkochen 1.4/55mm This is not true - see below. Mamiya TL 1.4/55 was produced starting in 1966 when the Zeiss patent on the Contarex 1.4/55 was fully valid.

BTW Rolleinar 1.4/55mm, manufactured by Mamiya and according to "taunusreiter.de" simply a copy of the Zeiss 1.5/55mm, has the same lens section as the Mamiya SX 1.4/55mm (and thus a computation completely different from the Zeiss 1.4/55mm as well).

Hope that helps to clarify some errors.

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well .. my post was about being *..~ish..* as it reminds me of ..

Thus, that's around +/- 50mm and obviously between 1.4 and 2.*

for people who have free time and lenses, check the early post tomioka series (m42 / penta);
- 5cm / 50mm / 5,5cm / 55mm ​

i would put my money & bet on 55/1.8 silver one from J5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
well .. my post was about being *..~ish..* as it reminds me of ..

Thus, that's around +/- 50mm and obviously between 1.4 and 2.*

for people who have free time and lenses, check the early post tomioka series (m42 / penta);
- 5cm / 50mm / 5,5cm / 55mm ​

i would put my money & bet on 55/1.8 silver one from J5

Unfortunately I have only the 5cm of that era, otherwise it would be an interesting comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "using ... formula ... from others". Some sources errorenously claim that the Mamiya 1.4/55 simply was a copied Zeiss Oberkochen 1.4/55mm This is not true - see below. Mamiya TL 1.4/55 was produced starting in 1966 when the Zeiss patent on the Contarex 1.4/55 was fully valid.

BTW Rolleinar 1.4/55mm, manufactured by Mamiya and according to "taunusreiter.de" simply a copy of the Zeiss 1.5/55mm, has the same lens section as the Mamiya SX 1.4/55mm (and thus a computation completely different from the Zeiss 1.4/55mm as well).

Hope that helps to clarify some errors.

S

Thanks a lot - that's very good to know! Can I ask you what you think about the claims made here about the possible connection between Zeiss, Yashica (Tomioka), Mamiya and others here?

http://forum.mflenses.com/tomioka-zeiss-mamiya-and-55-1-4-design-t22661.html

I find the theory given there very interesting, but I'm not sure if there has been any new evidence in the meantime contradicting it...

Thanks a lot!

caspert79 wrote:
Received my Mamiya this morning, and took a few shots around the house. All taken wide open. Click for full quality/size.
MamiyaSekor5817_9 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Your shots with this lens are spectacular - this one in particular. It works so well, which is in part caused by the rendering of the lens, but also how effective you use it! Excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Your shots with this lens are spectacular - this one in particular. It works so well, which is in part caused by the rendering of the lens, but also how effective you use it! Excellent.

Thank you. Nice to hear that from the 'king of bokeh' Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted. Answer was to the wrong posting. Sorry!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images, different aperture settings. Converter from RAW, no additional post processing. ISO setting 800, Sony A7R2. Click on image for full size / IQ.

First @ f/2:
Mamiya5818 by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crop:
Mamiya5818crop by devoscasper, on Flickr

Very good detail resolution.

Another picture @ f/4:
Mamiya5818_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crop:
Mamiya5818_1crop by devoscasper, on Flickr

A few flower shots, most of them f/4 or f/5.6:
Mamiya5818_5 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Mamiya5818_7 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Mamiya5818_8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Mamiya5818_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a very good lens you're having there,

could be a perfect supplement to a modern lens sans that modern-digi sharpness

would be interesting to see how it works on a portrait where natural light falls on a part of the face ..
a scenery inside - near the window (well yes, aka old dutch masters.. you should be familiar with them)

do you have any aps-c body to try it maybe, I wonder if some ca would occur wide open