Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 24mm f/2 (Kiron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 24mm f/2 (Kiron) Reply with quote

I picked up this lens a while back and haven't really used it much to be honest, but thought I'd try it out on my Canon EOS 6D. Excuse the wonky horizons, these were more for testing sharpness than composition Laughing

f/2

f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

100% crops

f/2

f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

Wifey is a slow moving target as she's heavily pregnant...good for sharpness tests Laughing

Couple more for fun

Thoughts

I really dislike 24mm on full frame! This lens reminds me of the Komine version, a glow wide open (though not as hazy as the Komine version) and nice and contrasty by f/3.5-4. I haven't included any corner samples here, perhaps later. I can give you a sneak preview by telling you that it's not a match for the Nikon 24/2.8 ais. But it does have that fast aperture for low light shooting, which is useful I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty good to me. Obviously better closed than open.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at that danger sign on the second set and it looks wierd, even on the f8 image, like there's heat haze, not sure how to describe it, but it looks wierd to me.

Overall, the lens looks pretty mediocre to me, until f5.6 the results look not so good to me, sorry to say.

Are you finding the 6D is pretty demanding on lenses? Just thinking of what Esox was saying about the Nikon D800 with 36mp being very demanding on lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good enough to me, and there are tests that say this lens is very good (stopped down).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F8 -F11 for long distance with wide angle lenses, faster speeds to close up , this lens perform pretty well if we keep basic rule.
I didn't see any bad on composition even if you didn't care about, I like result , funny one best of course Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in hearing your opinion on how it performs closer to the borders. I had a 28mm f2 Kiron, and while I really like its build quality and the sharpness in the center, towards the borders the resolution wasn't very good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
I would be interested in hearing your opinion on how it performs closer to the borders. I had a 28mm f2 Kiron, and while I really like its build quality and the sharpness in the center, towards the borders the resolution wasn't very good.

I'm not sure the borders are sharp at any aperture to be honest! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's decentred, if you look at the left and right sides, the left looks sharp from f4, but the right never gets sharp, that's why the danger sign on the right looked wierd I think.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, now looking at your pics again, the borders don't seem sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest that's probably because the crop is not from the centre of the lens. The left hand side of the crop is towards the middle of the frame wheras the right hand side of the crop is nearer the edge of the frame. I'll post up the full image in a bit for us to check though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, now that makes sense!

Probably what we're seeing is a bit of field curvature then.