Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil 50mm f/2.8 Cassarit/Cassaron disassembly tips?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Steinheil 50mm f/2.8 Cassarit/Cassaron disassembly tips? Reply with quote

Hoping for a few pointers.
I have both a Cassarit and a Cassaron. They look to be similar in construction , if different in cosmetics, and they both suffer from very similar intermittent sticky apertures. Sometimes they don't stop down fully, sometimes they don't fully re-open, but a "bit of a wriggle" will usually get them to where I want them to be. Does anyone have experience or notes on how to get the to the aperture mechanism for cleaning purposes? Other than this intermittency, both unit seem serviceable, if not pristinely collectable, so I'd rather not go for a total disassembly unless absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, if you find a solution, I'd be interested, too!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
hmm, if you find a solution, I'd be interested, too!

No response from anyone else, unfortunately, but I have found, by trial and error, that simply removing the rear element (with a lens spanner) allows sufficient access to the diaphragm to allow a swab to be used with some naptha on the blades themselves and, possibly more importantly, on the edge of the rotating plate that holds the blades. In both instances this plate is held in place by a large circlip, which I didn't remove, but would appear to be of sufficiently close tolerance to bind on the aperture plate if not totally clean Smile

Other than that, I found no more to be necessary to enable a reliable manual aperture. The auto-aperture pin and linkage does seem to have it's own problems, both lenses being very similar in construction internally, but I didn't bother to go further as the lenses have an A/M switch, which is what I'll be using Smile

Good luck Smile