Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

400mm two element lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: 400mm two element lenses? Reply with quote

Two element long focus lenses are a fascination of mine, but I don't have a 400mm. I've read about Leica Telyt 400 f/6.8 and Novoflex Noflexar 400 f/5.6. But I'm wondering if there are alternatives?

Can someone suggest a different 400mm two element lens I might find on ebay for around $150 or under?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lenses from Piesker can sometimes be found for cheapish if you lurk long enough. In use I found them to vignette, probably due to the restrictive EXA mount these two have coupled with the fairly parallel light path from ~400mm away. They're quite easy to store, you can unscrew the front bit off and keep it in a small container with some dessicant to keep the fungus away.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to see ads for cheap 400mm f/6.3 and 500mm f/8 telephotos in the backs of photo magazines back in the 1980s, when I used to read through these ads a lot. I'm pretty sure these same lenses can be found new on eBay today for similarly cheap prices. Optically, they do very well. There was even a test Modern Photography conducted on a 500/8 sold by Cambridge Camera, which was the same as everyone else's. Cambridge always advertised Modern's results, which were "excellent." Yes, they take decent pics, but the downside to them is the MFD is usually pretty far. And they're preset, of course.

I own a couple of Century Precision Optics teles, one a 500mm f/5.6 and one a 650mm f/6.8. They are both two-element telephotos, and they take tack sharp photos. Typically you'll pay a premium for the Century teles though.

All of the above lenses use T-mount adapters, so they are universal fit.

I own a 400mm f/6.3 that I'd sell for cheap, if you're interested. Like $20 plus shipping. It's in good shape and takes nice photos -- I've used it before with my NEX 7.

Here are a couple of pics of my 400mm f/6.3, so you can get a good idea what these "cheap" 400s look like. Apologies for the dust.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
. . .

These lenses from Piesker can sometimes be found for cheapish if you lurk long enough.

Thank you, Alun. Piesker? Yes, I remember now reading about them in years past. And Kilfitt lenses were also mentioned in this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-astranar-piesker-400-5-5-rackandpinion-focus-t11232.html

So I now have more options to search for. Smile
It's interesting that two element 400s seem to be a German tradition. I'll be interested to see if anyone knows of a Japanese made 400 with just two elements.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I used to see ads for cheap 400mm f/6.3 and 500mm f/8 telephotos in the backs of photo magazines back in the 1980s . . .

Thanks for the info, Michael. I own an assortment of generic, long, Japanese lenses similar to the Spiratone in your photos. But as far as I know, all of mine have three or four elements.

I agree with you that those lenses are surprisingly good, but I'm specifically looking for a two element 400 - no matter the optical quality. It's just a collecting interest for me.

If you can confirm you have a two element 400 for sale, yes, I'd be interested.

edit: And I'll also be looking for a Century Precision Optics 400. Although if there is one, it appears it would probably be over my preferred $150 budget. I just had a quick look for Century Precision on ebay. As you said, they're not inexpensive.

Tim

Last edited by 55 on Mon May 04, 2020 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit longer there is the Takumar 500/5 which have 2/1 front element

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400mm lenses, it seems, were of a pretty consistent optical telephoto design for decades post war: achromatic front group of 2 or 3 elements, telephoto negative rear group of 2 elements, cemented or separate. All the 400 6.3's are 4 element ones IME (correction: except the uncommon 1960's itoh made 5 element one), as are tamron 400mm f7.5's. The vivitar 400 5.6's (with the exception of the first gen tokina made viv 400 which had 8 elements) are 5 elements, as are pentax oem MF 400's. Then change is exemplified by sigma's 1980's lenses: compact "apo" designs with more elements and low dispersion elements like the 11 element v2. The latter would be the most recommendable value/performance 400mm on the s/h market were it not for the fact that they almost all have hazed cement of an internal group, and sometimes of the front optics also.
I think you've mentioned the most notable 2 element designs in your o.p. There is a 3 element tamron 400mm f8 from the 1960's, often the rear element is just a flat (viz the 200mm f5.9/6.3).
One thing to bear in mind with the older generic 400 6.3's: they are prone to haze deterioration of the optical glass on an element of the rear group, this can't be fixed (i've tried, inc optical polishing)! That's why I don't recommend them. If you do get a good one it can be of a similar standard to a tokina-made 400 6.3, either a 1st gen from the 1960's with its distinctive stovepipe profile or the later tokina/vivitar/soligor etc, but there is no need to take the risk, the tokina ones are readily found, and for a hundred bucks or less.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
A little bit longer there is the Takumar 500/5 which have 2/1 front element

Yes, thank you. In fact, I'm intending to use my own copy of that lens today! Very Happy

I'm lucky to already have two element lenses in 200mm, 300mm, 500mm and 800mm focal lengths. And I'm after a 400mm just for the fun of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
400mm lenses, it seems, were of a pretty consistent optical telephoto design for decades post war:
. . .

There is a 3 element tamron 400mm f8 from the 1960's, often the rear element is just a flat (viz the 200mm f5.9/6.3).
. . .

Thanks for the info, Marcus! I'll be watching for that Tamron.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck - off the top of my head I've only seen that f8 tamron come up for auction twice. Both times I was outbid by ?collectors (I didn't bid very much).

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bothered with dismantling these lenses, although I have dismantled my Centuries more than once. The Centuries are well-corrected achromatic doublets, but they also have an optical flat in front of the 2-element group. I don't count the flat as a 3rd element, although I suppose some might.

I'll check on this 400 of mine and see if it has a rear group.