Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultrawides on APS-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Ultrawides on APS-C Reply with quote

I've recently acquired a new Pentax lens (second hand at a bargain price) and wanted to find out how it compares with my existing lenses in this class and I'm happy to share my findings with you.

This comparison includes 3 lenses with a typical FOV of 22 to 24 mm on FF, IMHO a very useful angle of view for landscape photography on APS-C cameras.

The Pentax and the Sony lenses are APS-C lenses and the Voigtländer RF lens is designed for FF. The Pentax lens can be adapted on any mirrorless camera as long as the adapter is able to control the aperture; i.e. there is no aperture ring on the lens (on Pentax cameras it works with AF). The Sony lens is IMHO only usable on Sony cameras.

Here are the pictures all shot at F4 (at F4.5 with the Voigtländer lens) and converted and downsized in Lightroom. Camera was my A7R II in APS-C/18MP mode.

Voigtländer Super Wide-Heliar 15mm /F4.5 Aspherical in LTM:

HD Pentax-DA 15mm/F4 ED AL Limited

Sony E 16mm/F2.8 (SEL16F28)

Conclusion:

By far the best performance, i.e. really sharp from edge to edge is only the Pentax lens. Even the Sony smears in the corners still at F4. The Voigtländer lens is worst.
Therefore a clear recommendation for the Pentax lens which is also very solidly built, full metal and with integrated retractable metal hood.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're exploring ultra-wide on APSC, you'd do well to look at the Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22.
Both are about as ultra-wide as you can get as far as true-image or non-fisheye rectilinear.
I own a Sigma 10-20, and it's fantastic with a Canon 50D.
Both can be had for good prices nowadays, reduced from
what they used to sell for.

After owning a 5D4 for a while, I was jonesing for an ultrawide lens, rectilinear.
I found it in a Rokinon 14mm ultrawide, which is not fisheye.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfield is always interesting.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
If you're exploring ultra-wide on APSC, you'd do well to look at the Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22.
Both are about as ultra-wide as you can get as far as true-image or non-fisheye rectilinear.
I own a Sigma 10-20, and it's fantastic with a Canon 50D.
Both can be had for good prices nowadays, reduced from
what they used to sell for.

After owning a 5D4 for a while, I was jonesing for an ultrawide lens, rectilinear.
I found it in a Rokinon 14mm ultrawide, which is not fisheye.

Thanks, not really. I've just grabbed the Pentax lens for a bargain price and wanted to check it's performance. Wink

I have the CV 12mm/5.6 for FF use anyway and the shown CV 15/4.5 performs far better if stopped down, even on FF.

As you can see in the following example the CV 12/5.6 produces tack sharp pictures without corner smearing on the A7R II from edge to edge in FF as well: