Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock Retina Heligon 50mm 1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Rodenstock Retina Heligon 50mm 1.9 Reply with quote

After looking for a Xenon 50mm for a while I come across a Heligon instead, which I'm very happy about.

Here are some photos taken with my Sony a7. Special thanks to calvin83 for this inspirational thread http://forum.mflenses.com/rodenstock-heligon-50mm-f1-9-for-retina-reflex-s-t59786.html

Like he says it has a very special flare. But I was taken by surprise how it handled on my camera!

It's adapted to DKL-M42 and M42-E-mount helicoid.

Larger size on my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/158051784@N03/

Last edited by blotafton on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is a very nice set. I really like the rainbow flair effect. I have wanted one of these for a while but can't seem to find one at a price I can justify. Must keep looking!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that flare is amazing.

The bokeh is very nice too, both the highlights and the midtones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Wow! That is a very nice set. I really like the rainbow flair effect. I have wanted one of these for a while but can't seem to find one at a price I can justify. Must keep looking!

Thanks! I hope you find one!

KEO wrote:
Yeah, that flare is amazing.

The bokeh is very nice too, both the highlights and the midtones.

I agree, my thought was that it has a 60's style look but refined. That doesn't mean much but that was my first thought Smile

Similar but different to my Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 and Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2. I like them a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen such flares before in any other lens. The Septon dkl doesntt have em either,at least not the rainbow style colours, either I am not sure they have the same formula or not. By the way, how does this lens compares to xenon 1.9 dkl? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had (and still use) a set of Schneider Retina lenses since my film days, unfortunately I've never found any of the Rodenstock lenses at what I'd consider a "sensible" price. They appear to be somewhat scarcer in this part of the world Sad

What documentation I can find would suggest both the Xenon and the Heligon have a similar optical layout, but I've never seen rainbow effects like that from my Xenon ... maybe I should take it out more!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

The three 50/1.9s are different although they share similar lens barrel. It has unique character at WO. The Septon is a different beast, which is the most well-corrected lens compare to other three 50/1.9s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Never seen such flares before in any other lens. The Septon dkl doesntt have em either,at least not the rainbow style colours, either I am not sure they have the same formula or not. By the way, how does this lens compares to xenon 1.9 dkl? Thanks

I only have the Heligon, for now Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, picked up one recently too, along with a Eurygon 35mm f4 and tele atrton 85mm f4.Not had time to give them much of a try out but looking forward to it now I`ve seen these.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
Very nice, picked up one recently too, along with a Eurygon 35mm f4 and tele atrton 85mm f4.Not had time to give them much of a try out but looking forward to it now I`ve seen these.

The Eurygon 35mm f4 is a very good performer on a APS-C camera. It should works well on FF too. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I really like the rainbow flair effect.

I think the "flare" mostly is sensor reflections, and this is due to the Sony A7, which is very prone to sensor reflections. With other cameras probably you won't see most of the flare.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:

Nice kit, post samples if you get any good shots!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthracite wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:
I really like the rainbow flair effect.

I think the "flare" mostly is sensor reflections, and this is due to the Sony A7, which is very prone to sensor reflections. With other cameras probably you won't see most of the flare.

I can't say for sure but I don't think that's what we see here.

On image 12 is a typical example of the known A7 sensor flare problem. But of course there might be more to it.