Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this M42 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Is this M42 lens? Reply with quote

Hi is this M42 lens? This is only photos I have...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the classic Carl Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar 135mm 3.5 with M42 mount. an excellent lens!
regards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy certainly is.
Screw threads can be very hard to identify from photos, but fortunately http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1552.html only shows this one in M42
They did make a 135mm/f4 in M39...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better to present an image where the mount is not unsharp. Na Slovensko je to tak !
It does not look like an Exakta mount so it should be a M42.
I don’t know if there is a B200 baionnet version.

Last edited by memetph on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
My copy certainly is.
Screw threads can be very hard to identify from photos, but fortunately http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1552.html only shows this one in M42
They did make a 135mm/f4 in M39...

the f4 is also in Praktina mount.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

the f4 is also in Praktina mount.

I was thinking Praktina as I read down the thread. It's the bevelled edge on the bottom that got me thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely. Do M39 lenses have a pin to activate diaphragm?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Likely. Do M39 lenses have a pin to activate diaphragm?

No, not like M42, LTM/L39/M39 lenses longer than 50mm and shorter than 200mm have a tongue that sticks out from within the barrel.

Between 28-50mm, it's a ring, they move in and out with the focus.

Most other focal lengths don't have any coupling method.

Last edited by Lightshow on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solution is very simple.
f4 version was not produced with multi-coating.
f3.5 version was produced with m42 mount only. (later prakticar version came with different design....)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet.groove wrote:
solution is very simple.
f4 version was not produced with multi-coating.
f3.5 version was produced with m42 mount only. (later prakticar version came with different design....)

Interesting. I am sure to have seen Zebra 3.5/135mm in Exakta. But, well these days there are many lenses circulating with switched labels...

Sub-question: Is Zebra 4/135 actually F3.5 with slightly smaller aperture wide open hole?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, MC version of 3,5 is M42 only.
there may be versions of the zebra in exakta...

interesting question...
i have measured the diameter of the front element:
zebra f4 3,5cm
zebra f 3,5 4cm
so i think it is the same construction, but different element sizes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet.groove wrote:
ok, MC version of 3,5 is M42 only.
there may be versions of the zebra in exakta...

interesting question...
i have measured the diameter of the front element:
zebra f4 3,5cm
zebra f 3,5 4cm
so i think it is the same construction, but different element sizes.

Typically different sizes indicate a different lens formula. For the formulae to be the same, the curvatures must be the same. Measure using a Lens Clock.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier 135/4 is similar to the Jupiter 11 135/4 (Because the Russians confiscated the Zeiss factory and designs)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Typically different sizes indicate a different lens formula. For the formulae to be the same, the curvatures must be the same. Measure using a Lens Clock.

same construction on both lenses.
4 elements in 3 groups

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet.groove wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

same construction on both lenses.
4 elements in 3 groups

I have two 1:1.8 55mm lenses with 6 elements 5 groups construction -- each is a different lens formula. Not all constructions share the same optical formula.

EDIT:

The two 55mm lenses have front (and other) elements with different curvatures. Although the second element of each has a different diameter, the curvatures are identical. Example of both, different diameter elements with identical optical properties, and of same 6/5 construction having different optical formula.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same element count doesn't necessarily mean identical formula, curvatures can be different, spacing of elements can be different, the glass could also be different or no longer available which could trigger a recalculation.
Different element diameter element doesn't mean the formula is different either, it could just be a revision in the body and how they clamp the elements in place, perhaps in an effort to reduce damage to elements or to make it easier to assemble or impossible to assemble incorrectly.
For example I have Helios 44-2 from different manufacturers have slightly different shapes to the non critical surfaces, the elements are unable to be swapped because the elements from one lens won't fit in the body of the other, but I'm 99% sure the formula is identical, just different approaches to construction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from zeissikonveb.de:

Sonnar 3,5/135mm

Dieses noch auf Ludwig Bertele zurückgehende Objektiv wurde zum 3. März 1965 in seiner Lichtstärke um etwa einer Drittel Blendenstufe von 1:4 auf 1:3,5 erhöht, ohne daß sich am Grundaufbau dieses Objektives irgend etwas geändert hätte.

translate by google:

Sonnar 3.5 / 135mm

This lens, which can still be traced back to Ludwig Bertele, was increased in light intensity by about a third f-stop from 1: 4 to 1: 3.5 on March 3, 1965, without any changes to the basic structure of this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet.groove wrote:
from zeissikonveb.de:

Sonnar 3,5/135mm

Dieses noch auf Ludwig Bertele zurückgehende Objektiv wurde zum 3. März 1965 in seiner Lichtstärke um etwa einer Drittel Blendenstufe von 1:4 auf 1:3,5 erhöht, ohne daß sich am Grundaufbau dieses Objektives irgend etwas geändert hätte.

translate by google:

Sonnar 3.5 / 135mm

This lens, which can still be traced back to Ludwig Bertele, was increased in light intensity by about a third f-stop from 1: 4 to 1: 3.5 on March 3, 1965, without any changes to the basic structure of this lens.

Thank you! Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, a fantastic site for Zeiss Jena and Meyer Görlitz fans....
zeissikonveb.de

unfortunately in german only,but i think google translate can help.
greetings