Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendations for wide angle vintage lens for A7R?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Recommendations for wide angle vintage lens for A7R? Reply with quote

I just upgraded my A6000 to an A7r today, so I need to find a replacement for my Samyang 12mm F2. I know about the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm 2.8, but its a little out of my budget at the moment. Are there any decent vintage lenses in the 25-35mm range for under $150cad? Only one Ive tried was a 28mm Takumar but that was on my A6000 and was just lent to me. It was decent, but I'm not sure how it would do on a FF camera. Closest lens I currently own is a vivitar series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5, but Id like to have atleast 1 prime in that focal range. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for wide angle vintage lens for A7R? Reply with quote

Kawana87 wrote:
I just upgraded my A6000 to an A7r today, so I need to find a replacement for my Samyang 12mm F2. I know about the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm 2.8, but its a little out of my budget at the moment. Are there any decent vintage lenses in the 25-35mm range for under $150cad? Only one Ive tried was a 28mm Takumar but that was on my A6000 and was just lent to me. It was decent, but I'm not sure how it would do on a FF camera. Closest lens I currently own is a vivitar series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5, but Id like to have atleast 1 prime in that focal range. Thanks

Lot of good things to be said about Canon FD or Minolta MD 24 mm. Own both. Many praise Nikon and Olympus 24 2,8. Going wider will either be more expansive or result in quality loss. For non moving subjects a good command of stitching will allow you to reach or exceed the output of high end middle format bodies even using a 35 or 28 mm since you can virtually expand the surface of the sensor. At no cost.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and sharp 28mm is probably Canon FDn 28/2.8.
I never owned it though, just being believer in Canon getting "sharp" part right.
I owned a dirt cheap Tokina RMC II 28/2.8 and the corners really showed their age on FF.

If you go wider than 28mm, everything depends on your definition of acceptable IQ.
There is quite a lot of ≤24mm lenses of questionable merit.
Canon FDn 24/2.8 is fairly cheap and very sharp, but on A7R sensor it gets a bit of astigmatism towards the corners.
I still would use it for landscapes though.

For the reference: In my opinion the days of landscape glory for the Tokina 17/3.5 are gone.
Still good enough for indoors.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for wide angle vintage lens for A7R? Reply with quote

Kawana87 wrote:

The Vivitar really limps at 28mm on full frame. It is stronger at its longest focal distance,
Canon FD or nFD should be found well under your budget
Sigma Super Wide II is also worth a look as well as Hexanon AR
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all-time favourites in this range are the Fujinon lenses produced for the Fujica screw-mount SLR's back in the '70's.

I own and use (and have done for a very long time) the 16mm full-frame fisheye and the 19mm rectilinear wide-angle, they continue to satisfy. I don't have the 24mm, though would grab one if I could find one at a "sensible" price, and my recently acquired 28mm is as good as I expected. The 35mm f/1.9 is superb (if you can find one)!

My "go-to" multi-purpose zoom was always the Sigma 21-35mm ... it still delivers, but is mostly superseded by modern "kit" lenses.

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 24/2.8 or 28/2.8 both in latest MD III versions are highly recommended. Also the 35/1.8 or 2.8 in the latest versions are very good.
You may also consider a LA-EA3 or 4 adapter and look for Minolta AF lenses. All of them are quite good and nicely usable also on the A7R. I'm using the Minolta AF 20/24/28/35 all via LA-EA4 on my A7R II. Some of them may be even cheaper than the MD versions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f:2.8 Non AI has a minimum focus distance of 1 Foot (30cm).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for wide angle vintage lens for A7R? Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for wide angle vintage lens for A7R? Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Kawana87 wrote:
... I currently own is a vivitar series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5, but Id like to have atleast 1 prime in that focal range. Thanks

That vivitar is actually quite nice and versatile. If you can find a 10$ mint copy. I gave up after buying 3 copies all had a slightly different issue. One had some separation deep within the bowels, and it just fell to pieces trying to get to the element for inspection. Not worth repair, but good to use if you have and can deal with the zoom function.

I paid a little more for my copy ($30), but it's a very nice copy. I haven't got out with the vivitar yet but it was great on the A6000. I paired it with my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 3.5. On the a6000 I tried to go wider than 20mm but now I can see how much wider the FOV is on a full frame. I don't think I'd want to go wider than 28mm on FF.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another contender in your price range would be the Olympus OM 28mm f3.5. I use mine for landscapes with a Canon EOS 5DMKII and it is sharp right to the corners stopped down to f8/f11.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some shots from my A7r here https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/ (also some from Canon 40D, 1DIII, and NEX-7)
Rokkor 28/2.5, SMC Pentax K 28/3.5, The older S-M-C 28/3.5 is almost as good as the K. OM MC 24/2.8, Konica 24/2.8, Vivitar have a few nice 28's.
Konica 21/4
Nikkor 18/4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the 35mm lenses, the Minolta MD-III 2.8/35mm is very well suited for the A7R series. Even without any software correction it can easily compete with the actual Sony Zeiss FE 2.8/35mm ZA:

http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/434-sony-a7rii-and-summilux-1-4-35mm-asph-sony-zeiss-fe-2-8-35mm-and-minolta-md-2-8-35mm

Stephan