Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I miss my Vivitar Series 1’s!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: I miss my Vivitar Series 1’s! Reply with quote

I’ve been using Contax/Zeiss glass for years and they’re amazing. But looking back at photos I took with my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 and 28-90 I am newly amazed by their sharpness and color pop. Wow. So sorry I sold them off. But soo cheap on eBay these days!

Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron) 70-210

Vivitar Series 1 28-90 (Komine)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 70~210/3.5 - picked up one in Nikon Ai mount for $20 and one in Minolta mount for even less. Big, heavy- sharp, well handling. Also have the 135/2.3 in F-Mount, the lens I took to the camera store the day the Df was released. Told the salesman: If I can focus the camera with this lens on it, I'm buying it. I did.

So what's holding you back?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I miss my Vivitar Series 1’s! Reply with quote

Nice sample photos. Those are the first two Vivitar Series 1 lenses that I got. The 28-90 is still mounted on my Nikon FE2, along with the 70-210 f/2.8-4 in a camera bag.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got that pair of S1's, you have the perfect walkabout kit in two classic lenses. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1 lenses can definitely be found cheaply with patience, although the condition may be a gamble. I recently bought a Kiron v1 (70-210) for US$ 7.50 and a Tokina v2 (70-210) for US$ 17.55, just to compare against the Komine v3 I already had.

I have had less luck with my version of the 28-90, although sharp photos can be taken, veiling flare seems to be a constant problem. I purchased a Kiron 28-85, which seemed slightly better, but they were both bested IMO by the Cosina made 28-70, which is lighter as well, although correspondingly not as well made.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:

So what's holding you back?

Nothing, really, except for the fact I don’t want to overwhelm myself with gear choices. I’m not a technician or collector but the going rate on these lenses are so low it’s hard to ignore considering their performance. An eBay seller of the Kobori 70-210 version (smaller, lighter) recently complained to me the best bid she got was US $8. I’ve had the Kobori, but would rather have the Kiron for $12. LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Kobori wasn’t so bad. Nice detail, bokeh and separation.