Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X-Fujinon 135mm 2.5 can´t focus to infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: X-Fujinon 135mm 2.5 can´t focus to infinity Reply with quote

Hi there, hope anyone can help me with this.

I purchased a 135mm 2.5 X-Fujinon that appears to be in like mint condition. According to the previous owner, the lens has never been used since purchase and has never been taken apart for service either.

Problem is, that the lens does not focus to infinity. I checked on two Fuji SLR bodies. Focus is far off, as if one would use an extension tube, not just a little.

Any ideas on what could cause the problem?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bille1,
Welcome to the forum!
If you could post some photos of the lens that
would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Hello Bille1,
Welcome to the forum!
If you could post some photos of the lens that
would be helpful.

What are you looking for exactly? It looks like every other 135/2.5 from the outside.

Here is the type of lens https://www.flickr.com/photos/subart/16947729708

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Turtle Bille1

Same symptom as lens with focus helicals not properly aligned -- helical threads have multiple start ons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it was misaligned by a technician at some point or did it leave the factory this way?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome Turtle Bille1

Same symptom as lens with focus helicals not properly aligned -- helical threads have multiple start ons.

Possible but I would first check whether the focusing ring screws/tape can be freed from the helicoid and turned to the infinity mark when the focus is there too. Do not know the Fuji construction and the focusing ring max turning angle but it can be way off just on that simple fault.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Welcome Turtle Bille1

Possible but I would first check whether the focusing ring screws/tape can be freed from the helicoid and turned to the infinity mark when the focus is there too. Do not know the Fuji construction and the focusing ring max turning angle but it can be way off just on that simple fault.

Where would anyone typically look for "focusing ring screws"? Do I have to remove the rubber ring?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the reason is the focus ring has slipped. You will definitely have to take of at least the rubber grip. If there are no adjustment screws under it, you may need to go deeper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Most likely the reason is the focus ring has slipped. You will definitely have to take of at least the rubber grip. If there are no adjustment screws under it, you may need to go deeper.

On the Minolta MD models it can be a tape overlapping the slit between the focusing ring part and the part that connects to the helicoid. In other lenses it can be three grub screws where the two overlap one another. On a Mamiya Sekor three screws behind the lens beauty ring so lengthwise to the optical axis. I guess there will be a dozen other constructions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille1 wrote:
Do you think it was misaligned by a technician at some point or did it leave the factory this way?

Not enough info, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, turned out one of the lens elements inside got knocked out of position. I unscrewed the front lens, pushed the loose element tightly back in and now everything looks awesome in the finder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille1 wrote:

Perhaps a picture of your lens will help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Bille1 wrote:

Perhaps a picture of your lens will help.

Not sure how a picture would have helped. See my first reply. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on fixing your lens. Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Congrats Like 1