Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Red line on Zenzanon lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Red line on Zenzanon lens Reply with quote

Hi

I'm trying to find out what is the red line on this Zenzanon lens https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images4/1/1215/16/bronica-zenzanon-ps-50mm-3-lens-sq-sq_1_bfe4f9fd22f2815edea87e20be0a6507.jpg

I mean the vertical line just slightly to the right of left f/8 line in the focus distance scale (not sure abotu the exact terms in English). I tried to find in some manual but couldn't find a lens that has that line and also a manual available online (that I could find at least).

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infrared infinity mark.
IR infinity varies from visible light infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Infrared infinity mark.

Not quite ... it's the i/r focus reference point. Basically, you focus the lens "as normal", make a note of the focussed distance on the lens, then move the focus ring until this noted distance aligns with the red mark. Then fit your filter and make your exposure ... it's not an intuitively fast process Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Infrared infinity mark.

Not quite ... it's the i/r focus reference point. Basically, you focus the lens "as normal", make a note of the focussed distance on the lens, then move the focus ring until this noted distance aligns with the red mark. Then fit your filter and make your exposure ... it's not an intuitively fast process Wink

That's something I've never read or heard about, and fascinating to me.

Not intuitive, to be sure. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

So here's a follow up question...
This was a "riddle" someone asked. I'm guessing out of everyone he asked, I'm most likely to ask on an online forum. Some of the others would probably only google "lens red line" and other similar things. This is what I did at first (a bit more than just that) and couldn't find anything.

Then I tried to come up with other ideas, like trying to find manuals for those lenses (he had 50mm and 80mm Zenanon lenses if I remember) and couldn't. I then tried to find a lens that has that red line and a manual available online, but couldn't. I did find some lenses with lines in different colours (e.g. some Nikon MF lenses), but being colourblind I couldn't really tell, since it was very different (not a single red line among the other lines).

So... if there wasn't an online forum like this, how would I be able to find out what it was?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarnibass2 wrote:
Thank you.

So... if there wasn't an online forum like this, how would I be able to find out what it was?

Thanks again

RTFM Wink ... details like this were usually documented in the user manuals of the day, else any publication on the use and application of infra-red film would have probably detailed it. It's something I've "always known", so it must have been written down somewhere relevant !

I do still have some "proper" books, possibly even the data sheet from one or more packs of infra-red film squirrelled away somewhere ... if I get enthusiastic I'll have a dig about one evening Smile