Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosina Cosinon-S 2/50 shines in BW
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject: Cosina Cosinon-S 2/50 shines in BW Reply with quote

While XR Rikenon 2/50 has a kind of cult following and may reach pretty high prices, less well known lenses from the 1970 may have a similar and impressively nice rendering. To my taste, a modest Cosinon-S 2/50 belongs to this list, and you may find it for 10-20 EUR BIN price.

The lens renders with some purple fringing WO and has a general inclination towards magenta. But it gives a generally contrasty image already SOOC, easily improved to an even better state with a simple hit of auto-contrast button. The lens gives a gentle swirl WO. Even if the bokeh looks at times pretty charged, OOF to in-focus transitions look attractive.

Converted into BW, the images are on a par with XR Rikenon, Yashica ML and some other well considered glass, adding some more modern microcontrast as compared to many vintage lenses.

Here are some samples taken with APS-C Sony Nex, form wide open to f5.6 and slightly edited using basic brightness/contrast tweaks.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cosina Cosinon-S 2/50 shines in BW Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
While XR Rikenon 2/50 has a kind of cult following and may reach pretty high prices, less well known lenses from the 1970 may have a similar and impressively nice rendering. To my taste, a modest Cosinon-S 2/50 belongs to this list, and you may find it for 10-20 EUR BIN price.

The lens renders with some purple fringing WO and has a general inclination towards magenta. But it gives a generally contrasty image already SOOC, easily improved to an even better state with a simple hit of auto-contrast button. The lens gives a gentle swirl WO. Even if the bokeh looks at times pretty charged, OOF to in-focus transitions look attractive.

Converted into BW, the images are on a par with XR Rikenon, Yashica ML and some other well considered glass, adding some more modern microcontrast as compared to many vintage lenses.

Here are some samples taken with APS-C Sony Nex, form wide open to f5.6 and slightly edited using basic brightness/contrast tweaks.

Very nice images. When I was starting with photography in 1981, I've been using a cheap Cosina CT-1A alongside a Pentax K-1000. At that time, the difference of IQ between the two standard lenses (SMC Pentax 55 mm f/2 and Cosina Cosinon S 50 mm f/2) was quite visible in my color slides (Fujichrome 50), with a clear advantage to the SMC Pentax K lens...

Recently, I've found a Cosinon-S 50 mm f/2 in Vivitar guise and I'm quite impressed by the sharpness and contrast. I wonder if the different Cosinon-S lenses (50mm f/2, 50 mm f/1,8, 50 mm f/1,7), which all have a 6 elements in 5 groups construction, are not more or less the same.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. The Rikenon probably has better Bokeh (I got mine when they were still cheap 5 or 6 euro's). It looks a bit smeared to me. Rendering is very nice though. I made a bid for one that's sold cheap with a broken Chinon camera and a Tokina 35-70mm 1:4. We'll see how it turns out.