Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vemar 105mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Vemar 105mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

A tiny preset T mount lens that is essentially the same as Lentar 105mm f/2.8 (Tokina made). This lens was in a big lot two
months ago. The seller didn't want to sell it separately at that time. The lot wasn't sold eventually so I approached the seller
recently and made the offer. So glad he accepted it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same lens? This is a Soligor, and a good little lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Is this the same lens? This is a Soligor, and a good little lens.

Here is the pic of the lens. I believe it is the same lens. But your Soligor has the focus distance in both
English and Metric units while the Vemar only has the English unit (feet).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn. Those are really nice shots in the OP! So I searched my collection twice, looking for an equivalent of that lens.

No dice.

Closest I can come is a Spiratone 105mm f2.5 preset, which is probably larger than the lens in the OP. And I agree the small size of the lens in the OP is an attractive feature.

Of course I have 105mm f2.8 automatic lenses. But there is just something special about preset lenses. Automatic lenses do not measure up. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good samples! I like this lens, it's small and sharp. Mine is the Soligor version.
Noticeable vignetting at f/2.8 on FF.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Darn. Those are really nice shots in the OP! So I searched my collection twice, looking for an equivalent of that lens.

No dice.

Closest I can come is a Spiratone 105mm f2.5 preset, which is probably larger than the lens in the OP. And I agree the small size of the lens in the OP is an attractive feature.

Of course I have 105mm f2.8 automatic lenses. But there is just something special about preset lenses. Automatic lenses do not measure up. Sad

Thank you. The Spiratone 105m f/2.5 preset is good too, not too big either. But this Vemar is really tiny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Good samples! I like this lens, it's small and sharp. Mine is the Soligor version.
Noticeable vignetting at f/2.8 on FF.

Thanks. Your photo shows very daunting effect, nice one. I don't have a full frame to test it. Which camera did you try it on? I heard Sony A7 series sometimes have vignetting due to the mount size. Not sure if Canon or Nikon's full frame shows the vignetting with this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was perfect fog for photography Very Happy

It was taken with a Sony A7. I'm not sure if the mount has much to do with it, but it's possible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
It was perfect fog for photography Very Happy

It was taken with a Sony A7. I'm not sure if the mount has much to do with it, but it's possible.

Thanks for the info. I am debating which full frame to get, for my vintage lenses. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first A7 is certainly the best budget alternative for adapting lenses. And soon we will get Canon, Nikon and rumored Panasonic mirrorless cameras. Lenses will get even more expensive soon!
I need to get a few now Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

No dice.

Spiratone is probably the same as Soligor, they were both Fred Spira companies. My Soligor is a very compact lens - fully extended with M42 / T mount 69.5mm. 49mm filter thread. H427** Serial No which according to the list is Kawanon, but I have held my lens and a Tokina in my hands at the same time and couldn't spot any difference other than the engraved name ring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
The first A7 is certainly the best budget alternative for adapting lenses. And soon we will get Canon, Nikon and rumored Panasonic mirrorless cameras. Lenses will get even more expensive soon!

Sony A7II R should drop to around $1K after Christmas. 42mb FF sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

A7 is definitely the best budget full frame. I am not sure how helpful the IS in A7ii is. Potentially, probably I haven't really noticed, is that I don't think it is helpful that much. I actually just want a digital back with superior dynamic range and clean high ISO for my manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
guardian wrote:

No dice.

Spiratone is probably the same as Soligor, they were both Fred Spira companies. My Soligor is a very compact lens - fully extended with M42 / T mount 69.5mm. 49mm filter thread. H427** Serial No which according to the list is Kawanon, but I have held my lens and a Tokina in my hands at the same time and couldn't spot any difference other than the engraved name ring.

Spiratone 105mm is on the tall/skinny side in shape while the Soligor seems quite compact. Don't own a Kawanon so can't compare.