Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fodor 135mm f/3.5 (M42) - any info? * UPDATE WITH PICS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Fodor 135mm f/3.5 (M42) - any info? * UPDATE WITH PICS Reply with quote

Just made a walk through the 2nd-hand store, and came home with a Minolta SLR with the MD 45mm 2.0 on it, and an M42-lens that was so cheap that I decided to take it home regardless of the quality.

It is branded Fodor, is M42, mechanically it seems very well built, and looks like it has over 10 apertures blades (unfortunately a little oily, but let's not complain about a 6 euro lens Wink )

Online, I was unable to find much about this lens. It seems Fodor was a Dutch importer that sold lenses manufactured elsewhere under its own brand name. But that's about it. Anyone has an idea who the manufacturer is? What lenses are identical?

Last edited by Sjak on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different 135mm lenses with the Fodor brandname, ranging from a small pre-set triplet to automatic 135mm f/2.8 lenses. Most are "budget" quality, some will actually give you nice results.

As someone on this forum once said: "it's hard to build a bad 135" !!

If you want more info on a lens it's best to post a picture of it!

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably this lens: http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/461-fodor-auto-tele-135mm-f28-22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Probably this lens: http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/461-fodor-auto-tele-135mm-f28-22

Those do not have 10+ aperture blades, it's most probably something like this, with 13 (i think) blades: http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1286-fodor-135mm-f-3-5-22-preset

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be an older one then. That lens has a more German look to it. Like the http://www.m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1506-isco-gottingen-tele-westanar-135mm-f-3-5-22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL it looks like none of the above... I will take a few pics and get back here Idea should have done that before posting this thread Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go. Without hood & rear cap, it weighs about 290 grams.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one looks very similar, but is it similar enough? http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1808.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 with Series 7 filter size!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Series VII is for the thread of the hood, not the actual filter thread (which is close to 45mm, but I have no filter at hand to try and match)

I like the mechanical feel of the lens. Tonight, I will clean it, especially the rear element is full of greasy fingermarks. Then maybe will try it out, weather willing.

Even if the lens itself is totally crap, the leather lenscase was already worth the 6 euros (as was trying to figure out what it actually is)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a lot like a Tokina (Tokyo Koki) preset, 1960s vintage.
The engraving and layout certainly do.
Very common and sold under an enormous number of brands.
I have one thats from Sears.

The finish doesnt quite seem correct though, and the knurling on the focus sleeve is different, as well as the IR marking (same place, different style, yours has "R", mine doesnt, though other known Tokinas have "R"s, and a triangle for the focus indicator on yours, a dot on mine, though other known Tokinas do have triangles.

The preset rings and their screw locations are exactly the same but the screw on the focus sleeve is in a different place, the old Tokinas had them aligned with infinity, which would be a major difference.

The filter thread should be 49mm though possibly 46mm. If so thats another major difference. The SVII adapter ring looks like its in the wrong place. Someone may have been messing around with this.

This could be a variant or it could be from someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Someone may have been messing around with this.
Very well possibe, considering the ugly screwdriver mark on one of the screws of the focusing ring, and the fingerprints on the rear element. Didn't have time to clean and test the lens... well something left to do in the weekend Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cleaned it, mounted it on the X-T1. Focusing seems to work OK, so guess the elements are in the correct place and not inverted. The fingerprints on the rear are inside though Rolling Eyes

Tried to count the aperture-blades, a bit difficult in this light but it's about 15 blades Very Happy