Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux Movie camera lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Angenieux Movie camera lens Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201711/10478_20171129_DSC4427_1.jpg

Hi All
I hope I have posted this in the correct place, only my second post on this forum. I have the opportunity to purchase this lens, Angeniuex Zoom Type 3.5 X 6 B along with the camera it is attached to. The camera is an incomplete Beaulieu 5008 -S. Camera is missing the battery & I think the 240V lead, possibly more. It does come with the original leather case, a detatchable microphone & the original manual.

Question if I buy it is it worth anything, Can I adapt & use the lens on one of my Sony's, or can I sell it to an enthusiast who would make better use of it?

Lens appears to be a screw mount in near perfect condition, it looks complicated, but a beautiful piece. If nothing else it would look good as a display in my office.

What do I do with it?

adonuff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Movie camera lens Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:

Hi All
I hope I have posted this in the correct place, only my second post on this forum. I have the opportunity to purchase this lens, Angeniuex Zoom Type 3.5 X 6 B along with the camera it is attached to. The camera is an incomplete Beaulieu 5008 -S. Camera is missing the battery & I think the 240V lead, possibly more. It does come with the original leather case, a detatchable microphone & the original manual.

Question if I buy it is it worth anything, Can I adapt & use the lens on one of my Sony's, or can I sell it to an enthusiast who would make better use of it?

Lens appears to be a screw mount in near perfect condition, it looks complicated, but a beautiful piece. If nothing else it would look good as a display in my office.

What do I do with it?

Hi,

The Beaulieu is a beautifully engineered movie camera but it was designed for Super-8 film. Image size for Super-8 is 4.01 x 5.79mm, much smaller than the size of the sensor on any interchangeable lens Sony still camera. Therefore, the Angenieux lens (I guess it's the 6-80mm/1.2 zoom) will probably cover only a small circle in the middle of the image on your Sony, the rest of the image being black. The only interchangeable lens still camera you would be able to use with this particular lens is the Pentax Q, and I am not even sure the lens will be able to deliver sufficient image quality over the whole 1/2.3" sensor.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ABBAZZ
I thought as much, I'm just looking for a good excuse to buy it, it really is a fantastic looking lens. Not to worry I will find someone who has a use for it I'm not into movies so will likely sell it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Thanks ABBAZZ
I thought as much, I'm just looking for a good excuse to buy it, it really is a fantastic looking lens. Not to worry I will find someone who has a use for it I'm not into movies so will likely sell it.

You are welcome.

This is indeed a beautiful lens, which was very expensive at the time, because of its zoom range, fast aperture and also because it was specially designed to be controlled by the motors located inside the camera body through the gears and pinions visible beneath the lens on your photograph. Unfortunately, today this lens can only be used on vintage super-8 cameras or as a shelf queen for a collector.

As stated before, these Super-8 lenses have a very small image circle, limiting their usage to only the smallest sensors. Also, these cine lenses with fast aperture and extended zoom range were designed to deliver acceptable image quality on the low resolution film medium (Super-8 was aimed at the amateur market). When used on digital cameras featuring state of the art sensors with high pixel density, image quality is usually very disappointing, with so-so sharpness and lots of chromatic aberrations.

If you want a C-mount lens usable on a sony APS-C or Micro 4/3 camera, you have to look for high quality prime lenses designed for 16mm movie cameras but they are usually quite expensive. With a much smaller sensor (Pentax Q or Q7/Q-S1), there are a few very good prime lenses designed for 8mm / Super-8 in C-mount or D-mount that can be adapted and will deliver superb results. As their modern usage is limited to Pentax Q series, these lenses are still relatively affordable (Swiss made Kern Paillard lenses are particularly good).

Cheers!

Abbazz