Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New toy: Sigma APO macro 300mm f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: New toy: Sigma APO macro 300mm f4 Reply with quote

So I recently got an older AF lens that hasn't been mentioned in this forum since 2010 I believe. The Sigma 300mm APO macro. The interesting thing is that this lens was converted to manual FD mount so it's MF only. Given the odd mount, the price wasn't very high so I could get it for much less than others of its kind from Japan.

After several weeks of patience, it has arrived. No chance to really test this out as it's a heavy sucker and really needs a tripod. Handheld is really impractical, so I just used a monopod and took a quick snap out back. So far looks perfect for taking pics of bugs and such at a distance. Should also work for taking pics of the birds at the feeder.

See flower pic and then crop from the center of the original pic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that's sharp!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of those considering this lens, I will note that the lens gives lower contrast than is common today. That's handy with taming blown out reds and allowing one to selectively increase contrast. It also helps give it a more subtle look but it may not be to everyone's taste. Here's another shot itaken at ISO 3200, again handheld on a monopod with a full size crop SOOC. A bit tricky because of the wind.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my go to dragonfly lens. Fairly easy to use mf once you get the hang of it. Very sharp when you get the focus spot on. Both shot with a Sony A7.

https://flic.kr/p/Wgcc1J