Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair 11 seems like minimum focus is infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Tair 11 seems like minimum focus is infinity Reply with quote

Hey all. I bought a tair 11 m39 off ebay and it just came in. In testing it seems like the focus is off and that the minimum focus distance is at infinity and that focusing further just blurs everything at every distance. Is there anything I can do about this or should I just ask for a refund? As a side note the lens came with a m42 thread adapter. Could it have been set to an m42 focus distance?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only infinity? Then the back element is too close to the sensor. It has a m42 adapter? You mean a m42 to a certain mount adapter or a m39 to m42 (screw mount to screw mount) adapter? m39 Tairs don't focus to infinity but to about 30 meters because they were made for a slr with a shorter focal flange distance and they are marked 133mm instead of 135mm, always a silver version. This seems to be the other way around. Maybe someone tried to adapt it and went overboard. I would send it back or put a macro extension ring on it so you can focus a bit closer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came with a small brass ring that changed the threading. I think it's infinity focus at minimum. I point the lens out toward the horizon and pull the focus close. The lowest marking is for 1,5 (I assume meters) and below that I can focus on some houses and trees which are maybe a kilometer away (at f2.8 ). If I go the other way everything closer gets less and less in focus. As a side note this lens has a 50 marking and an infinity marking on it. Do the tairs have a different flange distance than other m39 lenses?

Last edited by Darakian on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:41 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you put your Tair-11 on a LTM adapter (also named M39).

You need to put it on M42 adapter, the little ring it came with is to convert your lens to M42.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an m39 adapter, but I thought this lens was a regular m39 lens. I guess not?

Edit: Found this thread on flickr
https://www.flickr.com/groups/59301046@N00/discuss/72157626442672790/
Seems that the tair is an m39 with a flange distance of an m42. I should have done more research before buying this thing :p

Edit 2:
After talking with my ebay contact he differentiates between LTM m39 and soviet m39 as having 28mm and 45.2mm flanges. Live and learn Smile

Last edited by Darakian on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair was not made for LTM-cameras (usually rangefinder cameras; LTM = Leica Thread Mount, which uses an m39-thread), but some soviet SLR-cameras used a m39-thread but a longer focal-flange distance (similar to M42)

I discovered this with my Jupiter-11. I could rule out lens-issues, because focussing worked nicely when I added a 16mm macro ring between my camera and my LTM-adater. With the M39-M42-thread-adapter + M42-adapter of course it works much simpler Smile