Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Makinon 2.8/28mm 8-elements design, A Sleeper?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Makinon 2.8/28mm 8-elements design, A Sleeper? Reply with quote

My 2 samples soaked in grease and in process of cleaning. The cemented elements orientation i am not sure since i wasn't paying enough attention when it popped out of tube. Will decide when testing.

Sorry for the crappy drawing.

Come, share a good photo made with this lens.

Found nice review with samples here: https://hillandspruce.com/2020/03/14/makinon-28mm-f2-8/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to post a picture of the lens, front and also the side of the focus scale at infinity? I think my Focal brand 28mm is the same as this, it cost an entire dollar.

Unlike the referenced review, my copy has no issues at F8 in the frame corners, being probably among the best 3rd party 28/2.8 lenses of the 1970s, and competitive against equivalent middle of the pack manufacturers lenses as well, although not the well regarded Pentax K or Nikkor lenses.

I also had a Hanimex identical copy one time which I removed the front element from to clean. It was very poor after reassembly. I removed the front element then reseated it and tightened the retaining mechanism, after that it was as good as the Focal brand copy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Would it be possible to post a picture of the lens, front and also the side of the focus scale at infinity? I think my Focal brand 28mm is the same as this, it cost an entire dollar.

Unlike the referenced review, my copy has no issues at F8 in the frame corners, being probably among the best 3rd party 28/2.8 lenses of the 1970s, and competitive against equivalent middle of the pack manufacturers lenses as well, although not the well regarded Pentax K or Nikkor lenses.

I also had a Hanimex identical copy one time which I removed the front element from to clean. It was very poor after reassembly. I removed the front element then reseated it and tightened the retaining mechanism, after that it was as good as the Focal brand copy.

It is the same model as shown in review link above: https://hillandspruce.com/2020/03/14/makinon-28mm-f2-8/
I don't think lens will match known brands in usual image quality aspects but the character might be pleasing and original. These are all very promising:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Makinon+28mm+f2.8/
https://www.lomography.com/lenses/3939-makinon-28mm-f-2-8/photos

And devastating review on Swedish site, lens on Fuji GFX. I actually like the results. But was the lens in question clean internally?
https://www.cyberphoto.se/captains-log/makinon-28-2-8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makinon and Hanimex branded. Now cleaned and with new grip.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

When I looked at your first posting I thought I'd have that lens as well, but no ... now I realize that have the "Hanimex" incarnation wih a Minolta MD bayonet though. Let's see tomorrow how it behaves ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Huh? Very Happy Very Happy

Now where I have seen that focus ring and lettering scheme before? Wink
Only difference is the round dot index mark.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Huh? Very Happy Very Happy

Now where I have seen that focus ring and lettering scheme before? Wink
Only difference is the round dot index mark.

-D.S.

Focus rubber grip is not original. Lenses are identical internally. With distinctive Makinon greenish coating. These photos prior to cleaning:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a quick side-by-side comparison of my Hanimex 2.8/28mm with the Ai Nikkor 2.8/28mm. Nikkor has better corners at f2.8 and f5.6; at f11 both lenses are equal in terms of resolution and lateral CAs (43 MP FF). I didn't check for other properties such as distortion, vignetting an bokeh yet.

S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I just made a quick side-by-side comparison of my Hanimex 2.8/28mm with the Ai Nikkor 2.8/28mm. Nikkor has better corners at f2.8 and f5.6; at f11 both lenses are equal in terms of resolution and lateral CAs (43 MP FF). I didn't check for other properties such as distortion, vignetting an bokeh yet.

S

That is good and surprising news, thanks for trying it out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanimex 28/2.8 like this one .. same lens?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
hanimex 28/2.8 like this one .. same lens?

Nope. This one is different. It is good you mention this version to make an exception.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that one is I beleive a Cosina and it was made in many different outfits, names, brands, mounts ..

quite ok lens, +/_ in the same league as other 28 brand lenses from way back

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lens has seriously good edges. Overall sharpness and pleasing bokeh. Took those in strong sun light so better colors next time. Sony A7 full crop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice character indeed. Congrats for the great find!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed I have a Makinon 2.8/24mm which I had completely forgotten, as well as a Vivitar 3.8/20mm (also forgotten). I think I should have a look at them both as soon as I'm back from Italy;)

S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Few more, wide open. Starting with selfie. Lens does the job. Double click on purple flower.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look interesting. I don't know how technically good the lens is (which I usually care about more when it comes to wider angles), but I do like the oof rendering, and I can appreciate a lens which is unique in its own way; which is harder to find with this focal range. I'd be curious to try it with black and white.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Thanks. Few more, wide open. Starting with selfie. Lens does the job. Double click on purple flower.

Like 1 Like 1 Morning Glory -- the glow in the center is fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I just noticed I have a Makinon 2.8/24mm which I had completely forgotten, as well as a Vivitar 3.8/20mm (also forgotten). I think I should have a look at them both as soon as I'm back from Italy;)

S

I had 24mm some time ago and after seeing good results coming from 28mm i remorse not testing it properly. Please share your findings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few Makinon lenses. The 50/1.7 and 35/2.8 are both competent but not outstanding. There is a 24-50 which is approaching competent. Most other lenses they made were not outstanding optically, the 28mm seemed to be the standout lens in their repertoire. Their lenses generally featured quite good build quality which makes it even more of a shame, although this could be due to lack of use in the lenses lifetime so far.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often said that it's hard to make a bad 135mm lens, but I think we would all agree that in the realm of 135's there are decent to spectacular lenses.

I've got a Makinon 135 / 2.8 Macro, and it's probably the most mediocre 135 I've got. It's not a bad lens if it's judged on its own, but its not good when judged against others. And that's been my experience with the few other Makinon's I've had. Which I have to say doesn't include the 28 / 2.8 which might well be a sleeper?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as very very skeptical that Makinon sold a lens that was an Asphere (I dont think they made any of their glass). I have for about 2 decades bought and sold on Ebay to fund the hobby, and doubt that I ever sold any Makinon for more than $10. I probably have a handful of them listed now. They usually come with something worthwhile, and I debate dustbin or try to sell them.