Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 28-70 F3.5-4.5 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Kiron 28-70 F3.5-4.5 Macro Reply with quote

Picked this up on the bay for 18 USD including 6 for shipping. Figured it would be fun to at least try. I was relatively impressed. Pretty sharp when stopped down. Good colors. Some vignetting, and low contrast in backlight, though A lens hood might help. On a7ii. Resize only (Fountain was rotated a 1/2 a degree) then 100% crops.

100%

100%

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20165/big_7980_DSC09579s_1.jpg]
[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my Kiron 28-70 used on ebay on Nikon F mount for less than 20 eur shipping included. Bought it as faulty as blades were sticky, the lenses were full of dust and fungus, the zoom ring was stiff. Disassembled the lens cleaning the blades with alcohol, cleaned the glass with spectacles detergent and relubed the inner mechanisms after a good clean. I am now pretty happy with the sharpness and the colors this lens delivers when stepped down to f/4.5 or less. It is great for macro as well for shooting landscapes. These pics were taken on a Nikon D600 and the lens stepped down to f/8, using a CPL with a small hood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

attilio wrote:
Bought my Kiron 28-70 used on ebay on Nikon F mount for less than 20 eur shipping included. Bought it as faulty as blades were sticky, the lenses were full of dust and fungus, the zoom ring was stiff. Disassembled the lens cleaning the blades with alcohol, cleaned the glass with spectacles detergent and relubed the inner mechanisms after a good clean. I am now pretty happy with the sharpness and the colors this lens delivers when stepped down to f/4.5 or less. It is great for macro as well for shooting landscapes. These pics were taken on a Nikon D600 and the lens stepped down to f/8, using a CPL with a small hood.

These all look rather goog.
Kiron did make some good lenses
T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I like of this lens is that it has very moderate distortion, both at the wide and tele ends. This pic was taken at 28mm focal length and straight lines do remain straight.
On the other hand, I must notice is less sharp than other lenses I tested, albeit it never gets soft, not even at the corners.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you got the one with the design that was, according to rumors, resold by L**c* (with another brand and slightly different package of course)

It must be said however that L**** men regard these lenses (there is 75-200 from minolta too I believe) as good, but not spectacular, slightly underperforming.

It is sort of hard to tell without a picture of the lens..

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Perhaps you got the one with the design that was, according to rumors, resold by L**c* (with another brand and slightly different package of course)

That one was from Sigma Wink

buerokratiehasser wrote:

It must be said however that L**** men regard these lenses (there is 75-200 from minolta too I believe) as good, but not spectacular, slightly underperforming.

The main problem with this Sigma / Leica 3.5-4.5/28-70mm lens was distortion; Erwin Puts mentions pretty hefty 6% at f=28mm; his published graphs, however, show the 6% distortion at the long 70mm end (i don't know which one is true). The conteporary Nikkor AiS 3.5/35-70mm with 62mm filter was at least as sharp, and it had <1% distortion at any focal length. Pretty impressive, especially compared to the lousy AF Nikkor 2.8/35-70mm ...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I meant the Sigma.

Sigma however resold, or their designs at least somehow wandered.

Especially at this time.

I have seen Sigma lenses labeled as Quantaray [Sigma distribution label U.S.], Exakta and many others.

I wonder whether the UC 28-70 3.5-4.5 is the same optical formula. The Exakta relabel I own looks nice enough, but is very noisy mechanically.

It is however pretty small and the non-UC/Vario-dingsda is more like a pipe. So there are doubts.

Pictures it took were not as bad as APO 4.5 wide open ..