Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Mat and Ricoh Diacord
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Yashica Mat and Ricoh Diacord Reply with quote

Larger image available:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/2559820782

The reason my camera budget's taken a big hit. Mark Hama was selling one of these that he'd reconditioned... I'd sworn up and down I was not going to get a 124G... what with that built in meter and black face... such a common pick.

But the daughter likes to use a TLR, and I managed to convince myself that she'd appreciate the auto shutter cocking and meter. Wink

So how does the Yash compare with the Ricoh?

The crank advance is more convenient than I expected. I like the push button and turn knob of the Ricoh, but got used to the crank right quick. The auto cocking shutter removes the doubt: did I cock or not, did I advance or not that an old distracted person such as myself has with the Ricoh arrangement. On the other hand, I can easily do double exposures with the Diacord.

The Yash viewing lens is a bit faster than the Ricoh's, but so far I haven't noted much difference in visibility between the two. They both focus well, perhaps the Ricoh snaps the tinies bit better... and the Yash has lines on the screen to help with alignment etc. While Yash uses knob focus and Richoh levers, I don't have a preference.

Nor do I prefer how one sets shutter and aperture - turning wheels on Yash and levers on Ricoh, except I have a habit of setting the self timer on the Ricoh when I'm fumbling for the aperture lever.

Oh yes: while the Yash has standard shutter speeds, the Ricoh doesn't. A minor quibble with the Ricoh.

The are about the same size and weigh about the same, nothing major there. Richoh has a 10 bladed aperture and Yashica (I think) 5 or 6. Whether that makes any difference in bokeh is to be seen.

I've only had the Mat for less than 2 weeks, so the 3 rolls aren't developed yet. And the Ricoh has different film in it.... At some point I'll arrange to take the same photo with each camera.

I really like the Ricoh and have got some great results with it. I didn't NEED the Yash... I'd told myself if I were to get another TLR it would be a Rollei. But I am glad I got the 124G as so far it is a joy to use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster, congrats! I've been thinking about the Yashica. But will wait till
I'm comfortable with my Ricohflex, which does have shutter speeds up
to 1/500 and a lightmeter, which seems to still work.

The Yashica is the prettier camera, though, hands down.

BIll