Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor 1.4/55
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor 1.4/55 Reply with quote

This is one of my earliest purchases when I embraced MF lenses. I used it briefly in 2010, then again in 2014, but never really put it to good work. I knew it was sharp but now have a much better appreciation. Choosing to use it two weekends ago for the Dyxum day of the year challenge, I was able to put it to good use.

I typically, when I don't forget, shoot a blank frame every time I change lenses, then it only depends on my memory of lens rotation (also sometimes challenging). When I reviewed and processed the images, some of them struck me as unusual as if I had used my Trioplan or Primoplan. It wasn't what I expected from the Sekor. In fact, I questioned it so much that I went out again and took some similar images, even some situational test shots, to confirm. As it turns out, the lens does indeed have some very interesting art-like characteristics like the Meyer lenses I so cherish. However, this Mamiya Sekor is very sharp at f/1.4 - more so than I had remembered. I had a difficult time picking the images to share, so have probably posted too many. All with my antique NEX-5N.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, art indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your selection, and the rendering! Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid series! Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set!! love the bubbly bokeh..

The NEX-5N is a great camera.. I still use my NEX-3 more than any of my other Sony's because it so small, simple and takes such good pics.

--mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful rendering with typical Mamiya Sekor colour.
Your compositions are quite splendid.
Thank you.
T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones, but 12 images (!!) is not a stringent selection, so bare with me
but it's overload.... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I like them all Wink And I like the 55 / 1.8 Mamiya Sekor that I've got as well, out of 'many' lenses around the 50mm mark thay I've got the Mamiya is absolutely one of my favourite and most used lenses. But the 50 / 2.8 is very average indeed

Your 1.4 looks like a very good lens, if I see one - I'll get it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots!

If I were to stick my head on the line, I'd say that you have one of the non SX versions of the lens.

Am I right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time ago, someone told that the mamiya, the ricoh, the tomioka, and any more lenses 55/1,4 had similar rendering.

I don't know about it, but the mamiya is very good lens.

Only the Coated seems to be an old one, look at the high lights.

The another mamiya very good lens was the 55/1,8, the 6/5 version, not the 6/4. The last produced (6/5) had three elements in three groups at the front and three elements in two groups at the rear.

It came from the end of the DTL era and was in production in the SX lenses.

I don't know if the CS version is the same lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, your mention of the "antique NEX-5N" sounds well comic! I'd say mine is still an attractive futuristic lady, even if its corners are a bit shabby, and I already brought it to repair. It costed me 150 euros to replace the motherboard. Even if I could have a used camera for that price, and I extensively used mine for a while, I said to myself, well, I better have repaired the one I know than get another one with unknown trouble. But this is just a marginal note.

You shared quite a powerful set of shots with "character". I considered the 55mm Sekor a more regular lens, and never chased for it, as I already have several 50mm's.

Is it a crocodile's back on #3? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC this is the same lens I have labeled Ricoh Rikenon 55mm 1.4. It has a near flat rear element. I really like mine.

Here is a sample from mine from a few years ago with Canon EOS 60D (APS-C) then a 1:1 crop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
IIRC this is the same lens I have labeled Ricoh Rikenon 55mm 1.4. It has a near flat rear element. I really like mine.

Here is a sample from mine from a few years ago with Canon EOS 60D (APS-C) then a 1:1 crop.

I do remember thinking this lens was made by Tomioka, and yes, it has a flat rear element. I don't see the same swirl in the background of your example. It was picture number six from mine that made me question which lens I used. I would easily believe that shot was from my Primoplan. After zooming in, I saw more sharpness and less glow that I would have received from the Primoplan. Here is a crop from the center:

Some of my images may not be perfect focus, and that matters greatly when the depth of field is as shallow as what f/1.4 provides.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Woodrim, your mention of the "antique NEX-5N" sounds well comic! I'd say mine is still an attractive futuristic lady, even if its corners are a bit shabby, and I already brought it to repair. It costed me 150 euros to replace the motherboard. Even if I could have a used camera for that price, and I extensively used mine for a while, I said to myself, well, I better have repaired the one I know than get another one with unknown trouble. But this is just a marginal note.

You shared quite a powerful set of shots with "character". I considered the 55mm Sekor a more regular lens, and never chased for it, as I already have several 50mm's.

Is it a crocodile's back on #3? Shocked

I'm trying to convince myself it's time for a new camera, but it won't break. Have to keep using it until it breaks or alligator gets it.

Please excuse this departure from the post subject.

As for the croc - the alligator version, yes, they are all over the place. The place I go most often for photography is an old plantation here in Charleston - 464 acres (187.77 hectares) remain of the original 1872 acres. The swamp is about 60 acres and is a breeding place for numerous birds. The alligators roam under the nests in trees, hoping for a chick to fall. I have a general rule about photographing gators from up close - only the ones I clearly outweigh. They don't always move, so one must be careful when walking. Don't let the smile fool you...

[/u][/i]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Auto Rikenon is very similar in its reproductions and certainly excellent across the aperture range.
I also have wondered if it is the same lens as the Mamiya.
Similar depth of colour for sure.
T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous colors on that flower!