Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Rare Hard Freeze in Houston, Texas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: A Rare Hard Freeze in Houston, Texas Reply with quote

Well, the freeze is over with now, and we're on our way back to balmy temperatures. Like mid-70s later this week. But for the past couplle of days, this town was locked in a two-day-long freeze. The night before last, it got down to 24F (-4C), which rarely happens here anymore. So yesterday, I got out and braved the 29F daytime temps long enough to shoot some photos. I took my NEX-7 with two lenses: my trusty old 55mm f/3.5 pre-AI Micro-Nikkor, and a nFD Canon 85mm f/1.8 -- that I seldom use. Not sure why, it's a brilliant lens.

I knew there would be some interesting ice formations because we let our water faucets drip to prevent freeze-ups. Well, there was certainly that, but there was a bit more too.

Canon. Our neighbor's water fountain that overflowed.

Nikkor

Canon @ f/4. A bird bath in our yard

Nikkor @ f/8

Nikkor. Leaves frozen by a dripping faucet.

Canon. Oh, and the dripping faucet, of course

Canon

Nikkor. Dripping faucet icicles.

Nikkor

Canon. And our pool, which didn't show a trace of freezing. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive shoots !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photos.
I hope no water pipes were broken.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water pipes are fine, fortunately. 24F is a hard enough freeze where, if we wouldn't have let the faucets drip, we could have wound up with some burst pipes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

My wife's from WISCONSIN, she always cracks up what I call "cold" and "snow" Wink Wink Wink