Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

looking for an ultra wide lens on sony nex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: looking for an ultra wide lens on sony nex Reply with quote

Hello
My widest lens is a sigma 19mm on sony nex 6 so making* a 28mm.

I'm looking for a winder lens, not fisheye, like 12mm for landscape and city building
The sony 10-18 look good but out of budget

the samyang 12mm f2 in sony mount look good and small, 320euros +-
Meike make also a 12mm f2.8, same size, less good wide open but cheaper 200euros

What wide lens give you nice result ? maybe a nikon/canon wide zoom for 200-400e max ?
Any advice are welcomed

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang 12mm/2.0 is great (for the money) if you get a good copy. It's also quite small as it's designed for mirrorless (as opposed to being an adapted SLR design). Its main problems are copy to copy variation (many seem to be poorly centered), a little plasticky feel (especially the hood can come off too easily) and the lubricant they use makes it very stiff in cold winter temperatures.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: looking for an ultra wide lens on sony nex Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
Hello
My widest lens is a sigma 19mm on sony nex 6 so making* a 28mm.

I'm looking for a winder lens, not fisheye, like 12mm for landscape and city building
The sony 10-18 look good but out of budget

the samyang 12mm f2 in sony mount look good and small, 320euros +-
Meike make also a 12mm f2.8, same size, less good wide open but cheaper 200euros

What wide lens give you nice result ? maybe a nikon/canon wide zoom for 200-400e max ?
Any advice are welcomed

thanks

Have you tried the Tamron 11-18/4.5-5.6?It is very good optically,pretty small and lightweight.Replaced by newer model it can be had for 120-150 Euro now.My copy is in Canon EF mount,so both AF and aperture control are at hand through adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am learning to use ultrawides, so I bought the canon 10-18mm for about €200 , I use it manually but with adapter for aperture control. It is great and at 10 mm you have some room to crop, only problem is the small maximum aperture. I have the adapter already,if not I would've bought the samyang being a prime lens and f2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@miran thanks for the advice , i will look at lens performance if i buy a samyang
@shapencolour : thanks too. i never try a tamron lens, the performance is better than old vivitar 19-35mm ?
i look the price of Tamron 11-18/4.5-5.6, +-200 euros used and i need a good adaptor for sony with aperture control so pretty same price with the samyang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used tokina at-x 11-16 on my eos 60d I was quite impressed with its IQ. That is an aps-c camera. Not sure if they make one for nex but I got some stellar images on the canon. Still trying to get a truly great super wide for the a7ii, but the zeiss loxia 21mm 2.8 is too much money at the moment. I am also waffling on the Voigtlander heliar 15.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Badr12 on wich camera did you use your canon 10-18 ? if sony was is the brand/model of adaptor please

@jamaeolus there is no tokina made for sony nex unfortunatly, i have to use an electronic adapter and founding one working well with this lens ( or canon 10-18mm) is not easy with sony nex 6 ( some tested canon 10-18mm on sony alpha 6000 and get nice result and antofocus )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 in a Minolta A mount for a good price and it works well with a manual (dumb) adapter on a Nex 6. But even better I can use it around 12-14mm with very small vignetting on the full frame A7 as well.

Taken in Fairfax, Virginia with the Nex 6 around the 12mm setting (or eff. 18mm FF).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lovely shot! Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think autofocus is important for ultra wide so the Sigma 10-20 plus a dumb adapter only cost me $200. That it can do double duty for full frame at 12-14mm makes it really economical. Shot same day as above.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks every body
a have to choose between the small samyang or a big 10-20mm zoom, the canon 10-18mm look the smaller of all proposition.
someone get a name of a working adaptor with sony nex 6 please ?

@coase what adaptor did you use please ? your Sigma 10-20 need an electronic one to control aperture or full mecanic adaptor exist with a ring who move the aperture lens pin ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
thanks every body
a have to choose between the small samyang or a big 10-20mm zoom, the canon 10-18mm look the smaller of all proposition.
someone get a name of a working adaptor with sony nex 6 please ?

@coase what adaptor did you use please ? your Sigma 10-20 need an electronic one to control aperture or full mecanic adaptor exist with a ring who move the aperture lens pin ?

Mine is a mechanical one with aperture control, BUT, it doesn't give you the exact fstop. It's continuous from open to closed and you learn to approximate different stops. I prefer that but others want something else. I also have an electronic LAEA4 but I only use that with lenses greater than 50mm not wides.