Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scorpio Supermoon in UV
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Scorpio Supermoon in UV Reply with quote

Scorpio Supermoon shot in ultraviolet (UV) light using a LDM-1 mirror only lens (800mm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the artifacts a result of heavy jpeg compression, high iso noise reduction or other post-processing? I can imagine that moon shots in UV are a challenge, with dense UV pass filters, low sensitivity and the need to use short enough shutter speeds to prevent motion blur. Still, it is frustrating to see so little detail this way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea to use an unique lens for unique moment Like 1
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the halo? Atmospheric dispersion of the light from the moon?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Are the artifacts a result of heavy jpeg compression, high iso noise reduction or other post-processing? I can imagine that moon shots in UV are a challenge, with dense UV pass filters, low sensitivity and the need to use short enough shutter speeds to prevent motion blur. Still, it is frustrating to see so little detail this way.

Sure Dick, show us yours for comparison!

BurstMox wrote:
Good idea to use an unique lens for unique moment Like 1
Smile

Indeed Pierre, it was such a moment! Smile

Lightshow wrote:
What's the halo? Atmospheric dispersion of the light from the moon?

Yep, clouds passing by, not a clear sky we had unfortunatly, and the visible halo was much larger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad about the clouds, I suppose the could be the reason for the softness.
By the way, I think you have your WB set incorrectly. Very Happy I do find it fascinating how we are oblivious to most of the EM spectrum, and how these tools help lift the vail.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice purple moon! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 You always surprise me..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:

Klaus, no need for a pissing contest. You seem to be mistaking my question about the cause of the artifacts for criticism. I'm aware of the technical challenges of UV photography. I am wondering whether stacking a series of these would result in a more detailed image.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scorpio Supermoon in UV Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Scorpio Supermoon shot in ultraviolet (UV) light using a LDM-1 mirror only lens (800mm)

What is an LDM-1 mirror only scope, a Cassegrain or Newtonian? Who makes it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scorpio Supermoon in UV Reply with quote

RichA wrote:
kds315* wrote:

What is an LDM-1 mirror only scope, a Cassegrain or Newtonian? Who makes it?

It is a lens based on "Schiefspiegler" basically invented by Kutter: http://spider.seds.org/scopes/schief.html

See here in my Database: http://macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=315

The inventor of that photographic lens passed away a few years ago, it is no longer made.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:

Klaus, no need for a pissing contest. You seem to be mistaking my question about the cause of the artifacts for criticism. I'm aware of the technical challenges of UV photography. I am wondering whether stacking a series of these would result in a more detailed image.

I hope that's just a misunderstanding through the language barrier.