Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Edixa-Curtagon f/4 28mm with a problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Schneider Edixa-Curtagon f/4 28mm with a problem Reply with quote

I like old screwmount Schneider lenses, and i have been waiting quite long time for a decently priced one.
Unfortunately a good number of auctions ended with a selling price too steep for my taste, and in the end i decided to try my luck with a damaged sample.
As you can see from the picture, the lens has seen not much use, but probably fell on the ground and as a result the filter thread is badly damaged.
I will try to restore the front to an almost perfect round shape with a wooden spoon, then if at all possible i will try to restore the thread as much as possible, masking the front glass and giving the lens to a friend with a lathe.
There is some missing material, so my goal is not a decently looking work, just to be able to unscrew the front retaining ring (if needed) and fit a step-up ring for cap and filters.
Of course i'll keep my fingers crossed, hoping that the hard knock hasn't affected the optics.
What do you think?
Any practical suggestion?

I'm also curious to know about first hand experiences with the same lens.
Not much about the 28mm, much much more about the 35mm.
Maybe because vintage wides under 35mm are often poor performers by today's standard?

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has suffered multiple hits by the years gone.

Does the helicoid work smoothly?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question!
It's in the hands of a friend now, i'm abroad.
I'll see when i go back home.
I'm trying to get some informations/advices in advance...

The description didn't mention focusing, just that the glasses are perfect and that the iris was working and without oil, but the vendor had no bad feedbacks, so i decided to try my luck.
The lens seems to be very clean, it could have been a single hit, face down, against the asphalt.
It banged hard though, from the kind of damage.
If the front is aluminium, as it seems to be, it could have absorbed a good part of the energy of the impact.
I guess the lens is not old enough to have brass helicoid. Any infos about that?
One thing makes me optimistic, the picture shows the lens focused to min. distance.
When it was damaged, very likely the focusing ring was not set the same way, cause i think that 99% of the times, in real use, photographic lenses are not focused at the closest distance.
That makes me think that the helicoid should not be stuck. If it turns nicely or not... that's a totally different thing! Smile

Another thing i'd like to know:
is it just a collector's item, or still usable on full frame digital stopping down a little?
On cropped sensor an old 28mm doesn't make much sense, but finally i have a full frame to play with.
A 28mm, maybe not super-sharp but with a good rendition, becomes interesting.

thanks

Paolo