Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica AR Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Konica AR Question Reply with quote

Hi guys, I just won a Konica Autoreflex A on eBay, I know it's pants but it has a rather tasty Vivitar 35mm f1.9 attached. I've never really been into Konica so if anyone has a recommendation for a better Konica body, I would appreciate it. Only cost me 18GBP plus postage, so shelling out for another body is no biggy, cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a bit of auto plus manual the FS1 and FT1 are nice BUT beware the electronics are not very reliable so make sure you buy from a reliable seller that has a fully working one. My FS1 has been working ok for four years but the FT1 that supposed to have more reliable electronics h'mm I have had three and couldn't get one working reliably even inter changing parts between them.
A guy here (I think) said the problem is the plastic printed circuit with tracks are just clamped together and corrosion can get in between them, so I took the top plate off and cleaned the tracks and the Ft1 still didn't work properly Sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

A guy here (I think) said the problem is the plastic printed circuit with tracks are just clamped together and corrosion can get in between them, so I took the top plate off and cleaned the tracks and the Ft1 still didn't work properly Sad

That could have been me. I took an FT-1 to pieces that didn't do anything when i got it, i cleaned every contact inside and it works like a charm! It's not really difficult but you need some patience and a clean work space where you can work precisely.

It's a nice camera!

Here are some film samples: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=81437390%40N03&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=konica%20ft-1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I decided that I had enough Hexanon lenses to buy a film camera to use them on I bought a TC-X. This was Konica's last SLR camera, manufactured for them by Cosina. With the exception of the light meter it is 100% mechanical and works without a battery. It is a decent camera to play with.

From what I have read it was the first plastic body SLR. It is a light weight, always ready performer. I use it for walk around photography.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent overview can be found at Alex Buhl's hompage:

http://buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eKonicaUebersicht.html

I would go either for an Autoreflex T3N ("heavy metal", but darker viewfinder) or for a Autoreflex T4 (some plastic parts, but bright viewfinder). Alex Buhl has also lots of information about lenses - when it comes to their performance, he judges some of them a bit over-optimistic. I found the build quality of the Konica AR lenses (with exception of the last zoom lenses) to be very good, the optical performance of most primes on-par with good primes from Minolta and Canon FD. Most Konica AR zooms i bought, however, had some mechanical problems (decentered, not reaching "infinity" etc).

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F series are all great cameras, I particularly like the FT-1 (I've got seven of them now!) and the FP-1 is great for times when you just want to shoot casually without too much fiddling.

I have all of the Konica zooms apart from a couple of the early ones and they are among the best of their time, the primes are all great, the best ones like the 2.8/35, 3.2/135, 1.7/50 and 3.5/28 are as good as almost anything you can buy without spending a lot more money.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Autoreflex T3, I've got both models and they are fully mechanical lovelies. Big,brassy and heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the question, what D cameras are good for Konica most excellent lenses?
All mirrorless only, DSLR not. I have A7r Sony and with simple adapter ring can use all my Hexanon collection. It is lenses, not mechanical Konica cameras are valuable. Optic is one of the best ever made for quite affordable price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
An excellent overview can be found at Alex Buhl's hompage:

http://buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eKonicaUebersicht.html

I would go either for an Autoreflex T3N ("heavy metal", but darker viewfinder) or for a Autoreflex T4 (some plastic parts, but bright viewfinder). Alex Buhl has also lots of information about lenses - when it comes to their performance, he judges some of them a bit over-optimistic. I found the build quality of the Konica AR lenses (with exception of the last zoom lenses) to be very good, the optical performance of most primes on-par with good primes from Minolta and Canon FD. Most Konica AR zooms i bought, however, had some mechanical problems (decentered, not reaching "infinity" etc).

Stephan

I had two . Chrome one and black the other. Very well made. Nice. Smooth.

Dark Viewfinder? Perhaps.

It had mirror up. Solid.

Good memories

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated. I'm having a clearout at the moment as I have no much old stuff in the garage and I just found an FS1. Loaded some fresh batteries and it seems to fully work, next step is put a roll through and see what happens.