Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summicron-R 35mm 2.0 E48 vs E55
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Summicron-R 35mm 2.0 E48 vs E55 Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I can buy either the E48 Version (first version with serial 2...) or the E55 Version with serial 3....
Which one is optically better for the Sony A7 ?
And what is the price difference of the two ?

thx,
Gert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gert,

Both are very nice lenses, the kind of lenses you can fall in love with. The second version is supposed to be the slightly better one.

For the first version of the lens a nice and sensible review can be found here, on DEARSUSAN site:
http://www.dearsusan.net/2012/12/30/finding-the-perfect-lens-for-the-nikon-d800e-1-leica-summicron-r-352/

I only have the E55 version of the lens and mine is one of the latest ever made. I have quite a few 35mm lenses but the Summicron 35mm is one of my most loved in my humble small colection. If used proper, for the purpose it was designed, it is a very rewarding lens. But be aware - it is not a lens for corner-to-corner clinical sharpness type of landscapes. And this is not a mistake or inability of Leica. It simply wasn't designed as a landscape lens, but as a "lens for journalism". See here the diference:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50982101

This doesn't mean it can't produce very sharp and nice landscapes when closed down, as you can see in the review on the DEARSUSAN site.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx dan, I went for the E55 version. Looks really nice with the build in hood.
I will post some pictures later on with the Sony A7II.

regards Gert