Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lentar "C" prefix manufacturer ID
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Lentar "C" prefix manufacturer ID Reply with quote

I thought many Lentar lenses were of Tokina manufacture. But I'm less certain about this one, with a "C" prefix. Anyone have a thought as to the manufacturer here?:

It's an automatic lens and it's a "super" Lentar, so it is a (relatively) newer Lentar lens.

Last edited by guardian on Tue May 19, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason I can see that it can't be the Tokina.
Is the filter 62mm ?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
No reason I can see that it can't be the Tokina.
Is the filter 62mm ?

Dunno. That photo is from an active eBay auction. I'm not bidding, but I found the "C" prefix unusual and do not know what it connotes.

I have not seen a "C" prefix prior on Lentar . . at least not that I can recall.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cimko is a likely candidate.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Cimko is a likely candidate.

I thin you are right. The double diamond reference mark suggests it is made by Cimko.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Thanks, guys. Was racking my brain but never thought of Cimko! Darn. And it makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe details are very important when it comes to lenses. While I try to notice them, most often my observational powers fall short. So with thanks, and a tip of the cap to calvin83, here is a photo of the "double diamond" he noticed and mentioned, which I did not pick up:

To obtain that photo I went back to the (now closed) auction. That Lentar/Cimko lens attracted more bidding interest than I had anticipated it would. Here is a link to the closed auction on chance you might wish to view more photos, for which you must scroll down:

Click here to see on Ebay then click see original listing

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cimko seem to use the unequal diamond as their signature focus mark, I think mathematicians refer to it as a 'kite diamond' ? . The newer lenses appear to have a solid green diamond rather than this very nice double diamond.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link of the exact lens in Cimko brand.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses are such fun! Here I am searching all over the place on the internet in effort to learn the manufacturer of my latest MF lens acquisition when, lo and behold, one of my own threads from more than two years ago pops up and contains the answer!! Whodathunkit?!! And you know I "sort of" remembered but I was unable to recall with precision the post above by forum member Calvin83. I remembered the diamonds without being able to think of what they meant!

I picked up this 25mm, f3.5, Super Lentar-branded Cimko lens earlier today. I was a bit uncertain but for ten bucks I decided to take the plunge. Also, the lens has an m42 mount which I need. This 25mm lens appears to me to be a member of the same family, the same line, of lenses as the one in my OP here. I did not bid on that lens, but was unable to resist the 25mm which, it seems to me, is a less common lens. Here are photos of my new lens:

You can see for yourself the "double diamond" there, just exactly as Calvin83 explained it and also exactly the same as the lens in the OP (see photo three posts up thread).

Does anyone already own one of these 25mm Cimko lenses? Is it any good?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had an old Cimko but the later ones are among the worst lenses out there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Well, I did just come across this somewhat newer lens which appears to be a later version of the lens I purchased. I say that because of the rubber focus grip. This lens is for sale now in Poland for just 180 zł, which equates to roughly US$50. I am unfamiliar with the Raynox Rubimat brand.

https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/raynox-2-8-28mm-rubimat-3-5-25mm-m42-i6383100654.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Understood. Now are you the same Ian who wrote this?:

http://forum.mflenses.com/raynox-auto-25mm-f3-5-t43398.html#1171595

By Jove I beleive you two Ians could be one in the same chap! In that post you give the impression of having a more favourable opinion of the Cimko 24. Is it possible my poor little Cimko 25 f3.5 might share some of its "big brother" f2.8 24's laudable characteristics? Question

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mixed luck with Cimko, the 135 / 2.8 Super Paragon is a great lens, but a 200 / 3.3 is a stinker. A few others are just very average.