Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Testing Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24mm/2.8 Reply with quote

No surprise with this lens - it's a good one, as plenty of people before me already pointed out. Consequently also not among the more affordable ones, but not (yet) too expensive either if you're patient. On aps-c it works great as a normal wide (36mm equivalent), so it could just as well stay on a camera forever. Mine is the 9/7 version in MD-II style with conical DOF scale and 55mm filter ring. The 8/8 MD-III with 49mm filter ring is supposed to be even better, but mine isn't bad either as far as I can see.

The lens itself:

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

I took it out for a walk a couple of times now. A few samples:

NEX6_0003_4953 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_5083 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_5087 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_5128 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_5152 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_5165 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

A few more can be seen here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskKVPRMp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good samples, Miran ! Like 1 small
#3 is especially great with large depth of field. The lens keeps the details very well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures . Congrats.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos.
When travelling I take this lens (with A 6000) as it is affordable. Otherwise I take the 20mm f 2.8 as it is a bit wider (eq 30mm FF).
Would be nice if somebody had compared them in terms of quality

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Excellent photos.
When travelling I take this lens (with A 6000) as it is affordable. Otherwise I take the 20mm f 2.8 as it is a bit wider (eq 30mm FF).
Would be nice if somebody had compared them in terms of quality

Thank you. I have the 20mm too but sadly it's in 100% top condition so my conclusions can't be exactly definitive as a mint copy might be better. I will eventually make a direct comparison but having done just a quick side by side test I'd say the difference in image quality is clear and the advantage is well on the 24's side, at least when looking at my particular copies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small

I've got one of these as well. A gem of the Rokkor lineup for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same version.

It's not the Leica copy.

Has the same 9/7 as the original MC 24 mm lens, but the MD has smaller elements than the MC.

I had both and dessamble the two for change elements among them, but I couldn't. The MD's ones were smaller.

The coating is good, better than the MC.

The from wide open to F/8 the corners are very soft and a lot of lateral CA.

At F/11 corners are almost OK, but CA no.

One more thing, I have one MD now, but I had five. I was looking for one very good. The best tha I found, it's with me.

And the five had some and strong lateral CA at the corner. Longitudinal too, obviously.

Central definition, colors and contrat are very, very good to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I still have to hunt down a newer 8/8. But they seem to be a little on the expensive side. Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I have the same version.

It's not the Leica copy.

Has the same 9/7 as the original MC 24 mm lens, but the MD has smaller elements than the MC.

I had both and dessamble the two for change elements among them, but I couldn't. The MD's ones were smaller.

One more thing, I have one MD now, but I had five. I was looking for one very good. The best tha I found, it's with me.

And the five had some and strong lateral CA at the corner. Longitudinal too, obviously.

Everything that I have read about this lens says that the MC and the MD versions have the same optical scheme.
No wonder that coatings have changed with the time. Don't you think that simply the mechanical construction had changed , making impossible your cannibalization tries ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
papasito wrote:
I have the same version.

It's not the Leica copy.

Everything that I have read about this lens says that the MC and the MD versions have the same optical scheme.
No wonder that coatings have changed with the time. Don't you think that simply the mechanical construction had changed , making impossible your cannibalization tries ?

I couldn't think that because I had some elements in my hands, and they were differents .

I do't know why is so difficult to undestand.

I never said that the scheme is different.

I only said what I saw with my own eyes, I never read this in magazine nor similars.

I saw that all the MD elements I had in my hands were smaller than the MC ones.

No more than this, no minus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Yes, I still have to hunt down a newer 8/8. But they seem to be a little on the expensive side. Neutral

According to my experience with Sony A7 series and NEXes 5N/7,the MD3,8/8 isn't significantly superior compared to the previous 9/7 MC SI/MC/MD1 models,that I have.

It is just constructed optically in a different way.The major difference in the real life shooting is that the MD3 8/8 presents more even sharpness across the FF/APS-C frame ,at cost of lower resolution in the center and lower microcontrast all over stopped down.

The MD2 24/2.8 is the lens I have never tried.Mainly because having many similar copies,I was reluctant to buy another one.But first of all - I knew it is not a stellar lens.

Samples upon request - it just takes pretty long time before I can find them in my not so well organized files:-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one tell if they have the 8/8 version or the older one? I have an MD, but that is as much as I know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Minolta not a Rokkor . Filter diameter is 49 mm .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

Aha, gotcha thanks. Yep mine is definitely a Rokkor / 55mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
memetph wrote:

Aha, gotcha thanks. Yep mine is definitely a Rokkor / 55mm

Artaphot.ch ( Stevemark) is my source. You can see also that the front element is smaller and flatter.

http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/143-minolta-24mm-f28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good reference is :

http://minolta.eazypix.de