Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik to make new Primoplan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik to make new Primoplan Reply with quote

Oh dear.

If this is indeed made in Germany...if I sold my 1937 version, I could afford this. US$550 right now....

Anyone else looking at this?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meyeroptik/bring-back-the-fabulous-wonder-bokeh-lens-primopla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik to make new Primoplan Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meyeroptik/bring-back-the-fabulous-wonder-bokeh-lens-primopla

Meyer Optik USA who?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the sample pics look kind of nice and true to the intended purpose of the lens. That being an artisic lens with special effects. Of course old farts and prunes will cry at the bubbles and swirls but it's a kind of aesthetic that's popular in some circles these days and there's nothing wrong with that. If it's out of the ordinary, weird, quirky and not mainstream, safe, sterile same as everyone else, then I'm all for it. But the price! If I understand correctly, the final retail price will be $1500?!? That's ridiculous and outrageous. If it was 300 or 400 I'd say it was a little on the expensive side but fair for a new product of this kind, but 1500?!? Stupid...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik to make new Primoplan Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Meyer Optik USA who?

Some new upstart company that bought the rights to the brand name after the original MOG went under some time ago. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik to make new Primoplan Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Gerald wrote:
Meyer Optik USA who?

Some new upstart company that bought the rights to the brand name after the original MOG went under some time ago. Wink

The upstart company is a bunch of German peeps working for a German branding company...I did have an interesting email exchange with the nuMOG CEO DR. Stefan Immes....I told him enough of all this silly Trioplan stuff and rebranding of Asian lenses, we need a Primoplan....that was about 2 months ago...he replied that I should watch carefully in the next few months...

He did state that with the popularity of the brand, the umbrella company did make a German subsidiary specifically to explore whether they could really manufacturer more fully in Germany, that the newer lenses are indeed really German (as much as that means in current globalized world....) etc. and the US subsidiary is really for delivery to the rest of the world, and for Kickstarter etc....just a warehouse with a small office.... Seems like a fine chap indeed.

I have a soft spot for Primoplans....so I am biased. I do hope they meet enough success to become a viable player. It's touch for what is essentially a 'cottage-industry' player to make it in a world dominated by Canon/Sony/Panasonic and soon the Chinese.

BTW, the Kickstarter pricing is around $550 right now...I do agree that $1500 is a very silly price...I can't see how they would actually sell any at that amount...but at $500 or so...that is what Asian made Lensbabies sell for...

http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.de

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike the project already (unfortunately it will be most likely funded successfully at Kickstarter) as another ugly-copied overpriced lens will be the result. I much more like all these Petzvals and Helioses on Nikon made by Russians both cheaper and more practical, focusing on barely adaptable (Petzvals) or focusing on buyers having issues with (new Nikon mount Helioses), for more fair money without ambition to ruin beautiful and functional original construction (all these new quazi-Meyers does look like a shit excluding that collectible silver/golden Trioplans that, at least, look mediocre)

However, simple supply/demand rule always decides