Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 50mm F2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 50mm F2 Reply with quote

Well i was good went to a car boot, and found this lens in a bag with other stuff, and just bought this one to add to my vintage of MD mount lenses
So now i have the 50mm F1.4, the 1.7, the F2,
35mm F2.8
28mm F2.8
45mm F2
135 F3.5
135 F2.8
35-70 Macro
and soon to be added 75-150
These are some straight out of camera unmodified images taken this afternoon during y lunch walk
A very nice lens from the Minolta Stable that does not get the credit it deserves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. The MD 50mm f2 is hugely overlooked. As is the Konica 45mm 1.8. They can be picked up for the price of an evenings beer. I have the 50 f2 and quite a collection of MD and MC lenses. You ought to consider some MC glass as well. The 58mm 1.4 is very good. Still a real bargain for a fast fifty. Prices have been creeping up on that one though as the EVIL cameras take market share from the Canikion crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
... The MD 50mm f2 is hugely overlooked.

There are two optically different versions:
* First computation, available as MC and MD-I
* Second computation, available as MD-III

In between (MD-II) was the MD 2/45mm.

The first computation is rather mediocre, especially on Full Frame (bad corners). The second computation is excellent - it was used by professionals here in Switzerland in addition to their MD-III 1.2/50mm (or 1.4/50mm) since it is free from distortion (the f1.2 and f14 are not)

jamaeolus wrote:

As is the Konica 45mm 1.8.

In fact the Konica 40mm (not 45mm !!) 1:1.8 is a good lens - comparable to the various MD 1.7/50mm lenses from Minolta, but with a wider angle, of course. The Minolta 45mm 1:2 has considerably more problems in its corners, probably because the MD 2/45 was a classical six lens / four element Gauss, while the Konica has a different construction with a negative element in the fromt half of the lens.

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Md 50/2 is similar to my hexanon 50/1,7.
Very nice pics. Good resolution and contrast. Low CA.
In somewhere seems to my cron. R 50/2.
Nice lens.
Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

The first computation is rather mediocre, especially on Full Frame (bad corners). The second computation is excellent - it was used by professionals here in Switzerland in addition to their MD-III 1.2/50mm (or 1.4/50mm) since it is free from distortion (the f1.2 and f14 are not)

jamaeolus wrote:

In fact the Konica 40mm (not 45mm !!) 1:1.8 is a good lens - comparable to the various MD 1.7/50mm lenses from Minolta, but with a wider angle, of course. The Minolta 45mm 1:2 has considerably more problems in its corners, probably because the MD 2/45 was a classical six lens / four element Gauss, while the Konica has a different construction with a negative element in the fromt half of the lens.

Stephan
Re Konica 45 vs 40 I knew that but my fingers typed it wrong (LOL). Is the third computation of the 50 f2 is the 49mm filter version?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it has a 49mm filter diameter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
stevemark wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

jamaeolus wrote:

Stephan
Re Konica 45 vs 40 I knew that but my fingers typed it wrong (LOL). Is the third computation of the 50 f2 is the 49mm filter version?

Till I know:

1- both are FL between 42/43 mm

2- The konica has a planar design like the Minolta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Stephan

It rare thing.

The MDI worst than the MDII optically?

I wan't to say that it?s not true.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Till I know:
2- The konica has a planar design like the Minolta

No, it hasn't:
http://artaphot.ch/konica-ar/objektive/432-konica-hexanon-40mm-f18

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
stevemark wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Stephan

It rare thing.

The MDI worst than the MDII optically?

I wan't to say that it?s not true.

I was talking about the two computations of the Minolta 2/50mm:
1) MC/MD-I
2) MD-III

The MC/MD-I 2/50mm certainly is worse than the MD-III 2/50mm. There is no such thing as an MD-II 2/50mm, only the MD-II 2/45mm.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.
You are a bit like the English Philipp Reeve Smile