Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Testing Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/1.8 Reply with quote

This:

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/1.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

It's definitely not an everyday lens. The bokeh wide open is so horrible you can call it "character" and use it as a creative tool. But it only works one time out of ten and even then only if you like the type. Close down a bit and it improves but then you get hexagons like with most Minolta lenses because of the six straight blades in the aperture.

Also sharpness wide open isn't very high. Or better said, there is a fair bit of sharpness but it's hidden in the slight glow and lower contrast which results in a sort of dreamy look that actually works well for portraits as long as the harsh bokeh doesn't detract too much. I made a few wonderful portraits the other day that I'm very pleased with. (I can't show them here though.)

Closed down and focused far away it's as good as any lens but that's hardly surprising. When choosing between the f/2.8 and this lens, the f/2.8 will get picked most of the time. But I think there's still a place and time for the 35/1.8 when you specifically want the look it gives you. It's just that it's not really a walkaround lens and it requires you to put in some work to make it shine. Regardless, it is way overpriced on the used market imho.

I took it out a few times since acquiring it but frankly I don't really have many nice photos to show. A couple of times I was unlucky with the light, or I wasn't inspired or whatever. I'll add to this if and when I manage to snap something worthy.

NEX6_0003_4065 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_4069 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_4073 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_4086 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_4323 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3390 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

The whole flickr album is here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskFJHpBQ

Btw, all of the above were shot wide open except for #5 on Sony NEX-6 (APS-C crop).

Last edited by miran on Fri May 04, 2018 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an old adage suggests, no one can argue the colours or one's preferences:)

I am not sure my pathetic translation still carry the original meaning, but still it should made a point. One's horrible may be other's great. I really like the bokeh produced by earlier Rokkors and 35 f/1.8 is no exception. Wide open performance may be unconvincing especially in today's standards, but it is still not unusable and indeed helps in other aspects. . My favorite portrait was taken with it on m43 wide open and I am pretty sure it was hardly possible with a 2.8.

Prices on secondary market have always been open to discussion but unlike recent posts, Rokkor 35 f/1.8 is not a lens you can throw away. It is not a Sigma Art, but it may be a good thing in some aspects:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying it's a horrible lens, it just has what is objectively speaking not the best possible bokeh. What I am saying though, is that it's a lens worth having. Perhaps not worth the price it usually sells at currently but worth having nevertheless. I will not be selling mine but I will think twice before taking it out with me. I'll call it a "creative lens".