Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 55/1,4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Mamiya 55/1,4 Reply with quote

What about the performance of the mamiya 1,4/55? Anyone know?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be identical to the Tomioka 55/1.4, same lense differently branded I presume.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. This is probably the same Tomioka lens sold under Mamiya, Ricoh, Sears, Porst and other brands. It has an excellent reputation.

I have the Sears version, which was a relabeled Mamiya.

I think mine is excellent, but I am no connoisseur. This lens does have a good reputation among those here who are more discriminating.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the tomioka page, they assume only Chinon, cosinon, yashinon and revenon, in the 55/1,2. But in the 1,4/55 say nothing.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of the Chinon-Tomioka 55/1.4 shot wide open:
http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-tomioka-55-1-4-and-the-flowers-of-my-balcony-t7196.html

Btw, I love that lens and it is Tomioka for sure because it's written on it Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is for love it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Mine Reply with quote

All my shots with the Mamiya / Sekor 1:1.4 55mm are here : Flickr

Edit : This lens is very good at full aperture but I am experiencing some problems when I close the aperture (f16) sometimes and shoot a dark subject on a clear background (reflection of the captor on the rear lens...). I'll post a sample later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I like your shots and are one of the things that I had considered when I look for price of the lens.
They are very nice!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Thanks.
I like your shots and are one of the things that I had considered when I look for price of the lens.
They are very nice!!

You're welcome! And thank you for your positive comments. I'm not a pro and some of my shots are old or taken in bad condition (@1600 iso) so this is a good way to see something which is not taken from an official guide of the manufacturer... Wink
And about the price, Flor27 had mine for... 8.80 Euros! The lens had some problems and was dirty, but that's okay now! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some warning about this lens & all 55/1.4 clones : the rear element is protruding without any protection, so it can be easily damaged. Also it doesn't clear the EOS 5D mirror @ infinity. Then another problem is as the rear element has a prefectly flat surface, it does sensor flare quite easily.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you flor27.

May I infer of your words that the mam 1,4/55 is really very good?

What is the quality at F1,4? The best F? Takumar or mamiya?

I have the mam 135/2,8. Resoltion is OK (not great thing) but contrast is very low. similar to the 1,4/55 ??

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Mamiya 55/1.4 over the SMC Tak 50/1.4

Look at here : appart the thrid ones, all were made with this lens @f:1.4 on EOS 5D, dim light (1600 ISO).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, for your time and attention.

The shots are very natural, in the toma and in the image too

Nice lens. I will take your opinion for my. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome !

Oh, I've forgot to mention that this lens is also prone to "mustache" flares, for exemple if you shot a light candle at dim light, you will see circular mustaches rays from the flame Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like on this pic :

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.